Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by SKJOLD, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Yes!

2. No!

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thoughts, comments.
    Thinking off changing from XP.
    Any major issues I need to be aware of.

2. I have no professional background in IT, but I've been tinkering around with linux for a few years.

Bottom line: is it better than windows XP/ Vista? Yes, without doubt. Cheaper, more stable, more secure, an excellent choice of software without all the commercially-driven M$ 'your whole system is now obsolete so pay us sh itloads for a new one' crap. Nor do you have that familar windows experience of your OS slowing down and grinding as it gets older. Linux just sits there, is quick, does its thing. The only way windows is superior is with the choice of games available (and linux people are increasingly working out how to run windows games on linux).

But: is the transition from Windows painless? No. It takes time and effort. You're learning a new software system which gives you way more control than windows or mac, but is correspondingly more complicated. The good news is the situation is improving, the people that produce linux 'distributions' make way more effort than used to be the case to help non-experts.

Another huge advantage is that linux breathes new life into old hardware. I'm writing this on an 8 year old laptop which came with win 98 but didn't have the power for XP. I'm running a linux distro from last year which generally beats the cack out of XP and is certainly more than adequate for the basics: secure surfing, email and office functions,

My advice is start with Ubuntu. The advantage of linux is the free support from forums and online communities which produce extensive documentation which you WILL have to work your way through. Ubuntu is an excellent distro and has the biggest, most friendly and helpful forum community, which makes it the best place to start. My only warning is that you can't just pop up on the forum and post "help me,my soundcard doesn't work!" they will expect you to have gone through all the 'HowTos', online guidance etc first. In particular, expect getting wireless to work to be a pain in the arse: the situation is improving, but its hard for linux hackers to cover every chipset/driver in every card. But, worst case scenario, you have to pay £20 for a new linux compatable wireless card. Compare that to the price of windows vista!! (Incidentally, the netgear WG511T is an excellent card for linux - note the 'T' at the end, other WG511s don't work as well).

Probably the least painful way to learn linux is to set it up on an old, spare PC and tinker about learning your way through. Gradually, you'll find you use windows less and less. Then you're free!

Good luck!

3. Linux is the way forward, once you make the move and work through the frustration of learning you'll be glad you made the effort. My personal usage is either Redhat or Debian.

Give it a go, it's cheap, easy computing for people not willing to trust everything from Microshaft.
  4. Whats the difference between these and the Gnome OS?

This is the only Unix OS I have seen and is used by friends, if you where too recommend one which would it be?
  5. :twisted: i an trying suse as a friend recommended it. He has been using it for years and plays games as well

using an old computer is a good idea , just dont use the old computer that your wife is using (like i did )as she may get pissed of severely .Specially after you explain that you didnt think she used it that much so you formatted it and installed the new and strange os .

i have bought a new hard drive (really cheap now) and switch over to linux when i want to tinker

:twisted: try
  6. Gnome isn't an OS, it's a desktop system which sits at the front end of a linux operating system (OS). There are a fair few alternatives to Gnome as your front end. KDE is more simlar to windows than Gnome, Fluxbox and XCfE are 'lighter' on system requirements and hence a bit faster and better with older, less powerful hardware.
  7. Isn't Windows classed as an OS?

I'm not to switched onto this stuff and I was warned off Gnome,i.e. no programming skill's steer well clear of, this was a few years back and I wondered if things have changed.

Edited to add;

Funnily enough the person that introduced ne to Gnome and Redhat/Linux is now using Apple last time I saw him.

Yes: windows is an OS, and yes it's getting easier for non-geeks to use this stuff. see my comments above.
  9. Yeh: probably because Mac has got closer to linux since the introduction of OSX, which is basically a unix/linux OS with the apple mac desktop and applications on top. Great stuff, but the cost is way, way beyond linux.
  10. I'l get my coat, will play when I get a new laptop. Guess this free stuff is gonna get massive, if not already in Asia because it's free.........
  11. don't worry about the coat mate ... the nice thing about this is most people who escape from Windoze World have to start from knowing nothing. We're all pigs in shoite together ...

12. Thanks for that mate, I'd love to be able to set it up. Trouble is I don't have a brain the size of a planet also will it run all the other software I use? Maybe there's a list somewhere, I'll go check...

Thanks again for your tips btw.
  13. OK, i have a spare PC and little bit of time to tinker and play. No problems there then.

Having done little research about Linux just now, my real concerns, along with probably a few other arsers are.
    1. Will nero still work?
    2. Will VLC player still work?
    3. Will BF2,C+C3 and DoW still work. (very important this one :) )
    4. After Ive worked everything out, how easy will it be to convince Mrs Skjold that Linux is the way ahead

This may seem trivial to some of you, but for me the end user, this is quite important IMHO.

SK :)
  14. This may seem like a really bone question but if I were to use linux how much of an impact would it have on normal use of a PC. My other half has an old desktop that I plan to tinker with before I take my laptop to a sandy place later in the year. She generally just wants to use a word processor and the internet?

Or should I stop being a tight arrse and buy a new desktop?
  15. Most Linux distributions come with a word processor as standard. Its called Open Office (you can download a copy to use with Windows as well). Open Office is compatible with .doc etc produced within Microsoft office.

Depending on what distribution you go for, there are some web browsers available on the original disks. You can browse the web using a built in browser called Konquror(sp) however there are loads of other browsers available for linux. Firefox is my choice and i am using Suse Linux 10 networked with a couple of windows boxes to keep the wife and kids happy.