Linux - giving it a go....

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Pompey_Jock, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Laptop I have currently is running with 3 Gigs of RAM and about 250 Gig HD and handles Vista well... and I am also one of that rare breed that likes Vista and has no problems with it.....

BUT, I like some of the things I see with Linux and want to give it a go, to get familiar with it "on the side" - so to speak. Friends have sort of hinted at the fact that it will automatically sort itself a partition on my laptop and give me the choice to boot via Windows, or Linux.

Is this the case? (Or even close to it).. And how would I go about it?

Am relatively Windows savvy - but have never touched Linux, so any & all constructive help welcome.
  2. u should get dual boot
  3. msr

msr LE

Try this:

Download the ISO

Burn ISO

Backup your data from Windows

Boot PC.

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Been thinking about having a dabble with Linux for a while now, let me know how you get on because I like you am a satisfied Vista/XP user.

I might have a go with something that can run off a memory stick no impact at all then
  5. Cheers, will have a read of that Ubuntu site and poke about a bit before jumping in.

I have heard of someone doing this,.. but not in great detail. My only concern would be if/how much performance would be impaired with the 'transfer times' - or whatever better phrase could be used - from the flashdrive.

Worth considering though.
  6. Ubuntu is deffo the way to start with linux as it mostly 'just works', if you're worried about partitioning and all that malarkey give a try, it installs ubuntu but in a virtual partition on your hd so no chance of data loss and if you don't like it just delete the folder.
    I'd be using ubuntu fulltime if Lightroom/Photoshop ran natively on linux so using Ubuntu/Vista (which works just fine).
  7. msr

msr LE

Or you can run ubuntu directly from the CD.
  8. I took the plunge about 6 months ago and havent looked back.
    Windows i shite and i truly despair every time i have to use that crappy system.
    Ubuntu is the way ahead go for the dual boot using wubi trial it for a month then wonder why you never took the plunge.
    I have been crash/virus free since changing its faster in all ways and so easy to use it aint funny.
  9. meridian

The only thing that concerns me is application support, I guess for browsing and basic stuff it would be fine but over several years you get used to Windows applications, file types and shortcuts. I think the reason I have never bothered is the learning curve and compatability issues.

Plus, I use Outlook a lot for mail management, calendar and even RSS feed management so I guess I would miss that

Will probably give it a whirl though and maybe use it as a secondary install
  10. msr

msr LE ;)

11. meridian

Do you use this MSR, it looks interesting

Certainly worth a go when I get the time, thanks
  12. Wine might be a bit overboard to start with.

Ubuntu would be one of the better choices to try.
    As mentioned before download a iso, burn to disc and boot from it.

While this will give you a fully functioning desktop it will not be running at full speed due to having to load things from cd but will not write anything to your hardrive.

If you fancy taking the plunge consider Wubi. This will allow you to remove Ubuntu at a later date if you change your mind.

Most windows software will have an alternative:

Have a look:

Ubuntu Docs
    Switching to Ubuntu

Also consider finding out if there is a user group near by and ask them for advice and/or help.
  13. Had no probs with ubuntu. Very easy to get help with probs (just leave a PC with windows on). Some of the problems can be complex. I put a TV card into one Linux machine and had to use a windows machine to find the answer - it was something like install driver, use another prog to obtain channels, install another prog to give it a device name and then install a media server to play the content. On windows it took 60 secs
  14. Computer Active this month is all about Linux and how it works. It comes with a Ubuntu CD and explains it all in layman's terms. I have now dual installed it on my laptop with no ill effects so far - quite impressive OS and freee aps.
  15. I ran Ubuntu 8.04 from a live CD on my work laptop earlier this year and it worked a treat.

Our jobsworth IT manager had disabled the wireless on our Windows XP laptops, yet he still ran a wireless network throughout the building. Try as I might I couldn't get around the problem so as a last resort I stuck an Ubuntu live CD in the laptop and within minutes I had the thing online. The only problem with the live CD is that every time you turn your machine off, you lose all of your files, preferences, internet favourites, etc. An alternative to a live CD is a persistent USB install of Ubuntu. If you've got a reasonable sized USB flash drive then try this: