Linux and NTFS

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by ex_wobbleyhead, Jun 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a dual booting laptop with Suse 10.1 and Windows. Everything works fine except for the write function to my windows partition. Knowing that NTFS and Linux don't always get along I assumed that was it, but even changing the NTFS shares to allow all users read/write access didn't help.

So I converted the partition in question to Fat32 thinking that it should no longer be a problem, however now I cant access the partition at all......so I reconverted it back to NTFS and it's ok to read again.

Long story short I'm confused and all I want to do is have a shared partition where I can store all the Music and docs on one Laptop without having to use and external HDD.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. ex_wh:
    NTFS is a READONLY filesystem by default in Linux. I am not going any further with that.

What I did was to repartition NTFS to give me a 4GB Fat32 partition and made that writable by setting the correct permissions with chgrp and chmod.
    WINDOWS: Owner root; Group root
    Fat32: Owner root; Group users; permissions Read and Write (775)

Hope this helps. Will try to post screenshots if needed.

EXRC.

3. NTFS can be written to from linux with the correct tools (www.linux-ntfs.org) but it's entirely at your own risk. An unclean unmount could result in a corrupted partition. :(
    My external HDD is NTFS and I backup to it from Ubuntu using ntfs-3g which I installed with "sudo apt-get install ntfs-config". Took 'bout 30 seconds to set up and have RW NTFS access :D

4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I once acquired an extra hard drive. My Windows 98 system was unable to do anything with it and a spot of web browsing told me the drive had an NTFS partition on it. The fix was to download and run a small utility - sorry the best part (if you'll pardon the pun) of a decade later the name escapes me - maybe delpart.exe - which was actually from the NT3.51 toolkit to erase an NTFS partition.