Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by stoatman, May 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anyone sees any actual, preferably virgin Linotype metal around the place, can you let me know? There was some on a while back but I missed out on it. I actually have plenty of scrap hard lead kicking around, but I have a few rather demanding applications that would benefit from 100% clean, virgin metal.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It stopped being used a while ago, wheel weights were a good substitute!
  3. Not only is Linotype rarer than a pork chop at a Jewish feast, but lead wheel weights are going the same way.

Having said that I just so happen to have around 30 kgs of linotype in a secure place. Where are you Stoaty? :D
  4. I'm in the Netherlands, but also have places I'll be visiting in the UK later in the year in South Somerset and East Sussex. Is any of that convenient for you?

You can get the stuff virgin in the States, but the shipping prices are... shall we say... excessive?

Edited to add: East Berkshire is also a possibility, as is Clapham Junction area.
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is there anything else you can use to harden the lead?
  6. it is still possible to buy antimony and tin separately, but that gets very expensive very quickly.

I've got all sorts of scrap hard lead of various hardnesses, but the cast 223 Remington is exceptionally picky with flaws etc and would benefit from pure, 100% clean Linotype. I am currently casting these at Linotype hardness, but I have a suspicion that there is more antimony and less tin.

Linotype alloy is eutectic meaning that it goes from liquid to solid instantaneously without a slush phase meaning that you get a crisper, cleaner cast with fewer flaws.