Links to Poetry Websites, Reviews and Other Poetry Related Stuff...

Discussion in 'Poetry Corner' started by Bowmore_Assassin, Nov 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

All links in here please with an explanation of where the link takes the reader !

Thanks.

Bowmore_Assassin

2. Bowmore_Assassin

A link to the on-line journal, 'Contemporary Poetry Review.'

Critical Poetry Review Magazine – Poetry Criticism from the Contemporary Poetry Review

Here's the blurb from the site:

"The Contemporary Poetry Review is a journal devoted exclusively to the criticism of poetry. As such, the editorial policy of the Contemporary Poetry Review is to review books of poetry (and books concerning poets or poetry) only. The Contemporary Poetry Review does not publish poetry. Please do not submit your poetry to this review for publication.

The Contemporary Poetry Review accepts unsolicited review copies, though acceptance of such copies does not guarantee a review. For further questions, contact the editor or write to:

Contemporary Poetry Review
    PO Box 5222
    Arlington, VA 22205
    USA

The Contemporary Poetry Review is a program of the American Poetry Fund, a charitable organization with 501(c)(3) status."

3. Bowmore_Assassin

A link to the UK Poetry Society which I recommend to all poets and anyone who likes poetry:

The Poetry Society (Home Page)

From the website:

"Our mission is to advance the study, use and enjoyment of poetry.

The Poetry Society was founded in 1909 to 'promote "a more general recognition and appreciation of poetry". Since then, it has grown into one of Britain's most dynamic arts organisations, representing British poetry both nationally and internationally. Today it has nearly 4000 members worldwide and publishes the leading poetry magazine, Poetry Review.

With innovative education and commissioning programmes and a packed calendar of performances, readings and competitions, the Poetry Society champions poetry for all ages. As well as the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award, the Poetry Society runs the National Poetry Competition, one of the world's longest-running and most prestigious prizes for an individual poem, and the Ted Hughes Award for New Work in Poetry - the prize founded by Carol Ann Duffy from her honorarium as Poet Laureate.

"The Poetry Society is the heart and hands of poetry in the UK - a centre which pours out energy to all parts of the poetry-body, and a dexterous set of operations which arrange and organise poetry's various manifestations. It has a long distinguished history, and has never been so vital, or so vitalizing as it is now." Sir Andrew Motion..."

4. Bowmore_Assassin

A very good podcast on the Guardian site (you can download it on itunes as well):

Guardian books podcast: Armistice day | Books | guardian.co.uk

From the website:

"A special programme to mark Armistice Day. Michael Morpurgo on why the first world war is the symbol of all wars, Louisa Young on her novel of the western front and Andrew Motion on war poetry...

As this week's books podcast falls on the 11th day of the 11th month of the 11th year, we decided to devote it to the literature of war and remembrance. We talk to Michael Morpurgo, bestselling author of War Horse and Private Peaceful, about what the first first world war means to the great-great-grandchildren of the people who fought in it, and why it is so important to continue reminding them about it.

We discuss the new war poets with former poet laureate Andrew Motion, and Louisa Young joins us to talk about her award-winning novel, My Dear I Wanted to Tell You, which deals - among other things - with the birth of facial surgery, as doctors fought to repair the terrible injuries to survivors of the trenches.

Reading list

War Horse, by Michael Morpurgo (Egmont)
    Private Peaceful, by Michael Morpurgo (HarperCollins)
    Enduring Freedom: An Afghan Anthology (Firestep)
    Laurels and Donkeys, by Andrew Motion
    My Dear I Wanted to Tell You by by Louisa Young (HarperCollins)"

The review on ARRSE by Lucretia for the anthology "Enduring Freedom: An Afghan Anthology" is linked below:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/909-enduring-freedom-afghan-anthology-ed-ryan-gearing.html

5. Bowmore_Assassin

6. Bowmore_Assassin

Hello all,

Regarding the anthology 'Enduring Freedom' (see here for linky):

http://www.arrse.co.uk/content/909-enduring-freedom-afghan-anthology-ed-ryan-gearing.html

You may already know, but sales for 'Enduring Freedom...' support the charity Combat Stress. The publisher - Ryan Gearing from FIRESTEP Publishing sent me a message asking for ARRSE members to support this initiative to bolster sales:

"I had an enquiry from WH Smith, Chippenham who said they would love to stock Enduring Freedom but they needed permission from Head Office or rather for HO to scale it out.

Head Office said the book didn’t suit their demographic – a rather sweeping statement so I contacted them again about this and suggested that they reviewed their demographics based on locale as for example Chippenham area and say Alderhsot, Folkestone, Dover, Catterick etc etc are all “Garrison Towns” and therefore have a large population made up of serving personnel, veterans, friends and family [many] of whom would be interested in the book.

They replied this week and said I could approach the branches individually advising them whilst it is not a local book (usually history or geography related) – they can buy it as it is of local interest to the population.

I asked for a list of stores and they said I had to get it from the W H Smith website.

What I could do with is some help from [ARRSE] members to pinpoint branches who they think I should contact regarding the book.

Ryan Gearing"

So, if any of you esteemed ARRSErs feel the urge to help out, could you send the details of your local WH Smith, or any other bookstore you think would be willing to stock the anthology to the following email address: books@firesteppublishing.com

Thanks,

Bowmore_Assassin

7. Bowmore_Assassin

This entry was moved from a now closed thread to this one by the moderator. As stated in the closed thread; some may like it, some may not. If you are of the latter persuasion please do not crayon over this thread. As with the majority of the poetry threads, criticism is welcomed but abuse and pointless pictures or obscenity is not - there is the Naafi thread for that.

I moved this

8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bump.

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Last year saw BA posting a thread drawing attention to an anthology so here goes 2013 with a pointer to an anthology of poems which have been written by someone who served. The book "The Blood of Kings" by JB Brown has been reviewed on ARRSE and can be found here: The Blood of Kings.

If poetry is your thang then this may be a pretty good way to start off the new year.

10. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Bowmore_Assassin

Thanks for posting that. Never seen it before.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've recently come across Clive Sanders, a retired Royal Signals officer who writes Kiplingesque doggerel on veterans issues, including PTSD, which struck a chord:

Somerset Landscape Artist and Poet

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1