Linguist options

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Occams Chainsaw, Aug 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to send out my application within the next week or so for OMPI(L) but I'm struggling to find 2 other trades that appeal to me. Are there any other roles with compulsory, or even just a high probability of, LLC? It's utilizing languages in the army that really appeals to me. If I can't find any other roles where you could do that I'm going to end up applying for a job I don't really want so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Your suitability for language learning will be assessed prior to acceptance on a long language course, even if you did initially get your first choice. If you fail the test you won't work as a linguist in any trade.

3. I know. That wasn't my question but thanks anyway. I'm confident about the MLAT. I'm asking what roles I can apply for on my application that will give me a good chance of getting language training as I want to send it off this week. The MLAT comes later on. One bridge at a time.

4. Long language courses are available to any soldier with the aptitude. The Int Corps is obviously the best track but EW might be the sort of trade where the bosses are used to releasing you for these duties. I knew an infantry Tom who got an Arabic course under his belt but I would think it depends on the CoC.

5. Really? Perhaps wait until you've done it wee man.

And then have a good long think about what Service means, because sure as shit you'll be doing what the Army wants you to do - based upon what it needs people to do, what it thinks you'll be good at and what you desire a long ******* way down the pecking order. Get this into your swede early and you'll do fine. If not then stand by to be disappointed that the Army isn't there to sort you out with what you want.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes, really. I did the civilian equivalent for Cambridge and scored in the 99th percentile.
    The test layout is basically identical. Hence my confidence.
    Maybe I'm wrong Maybe I'll mess up. Who knows!

Sure, army needs come first but you apply for certain roles for a reason in the initial application. Because its what you are interested in and because you think you have aptitude there. That is my position on languages

Thanks for the advice.

FYI: I'm looking to apply for OPMI(L), OPMI and EWOp

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)