Linguist Badge - Tower of Babel

Do lings want to wear a badge that id`s them as a ling?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Word on the street is that someone at 14 Sigs is suggesting that linguists are identified by wearing a unique badge on their uniform and that symbol might be the Tower of Babel.

My questions are:-

1. Is this a good idea?, considering that we used to have something similiar for German colloquial speakers (the target!).

2. Do lings want to be easily id'd ?

I have spoken to a few of my mates about this and have received very different answers.

How about an onion with a duck sitting on top of it?

Mr_Stinky said:
1. Is this a good idea?, considering that we used to have something similiar for German colloquial speakers (the target!).
Is the "target" badge still in use - I have been in Germany for years and I have never seen anyone wear it.

Badges......do we need more? We wear name tapes, regt flashes and union jacks on most bits of kit. Some wear wings and daggers. Some wear none, and generally get sh*t from the Sgt Maj.

Would an extra badge to differentiate a trade speciality really be an incentive to want others to become that?

Give them linguist pay instead. Just like the jumps, SI, SD pay schemes that run for others that have completed long difficult courses.

Before you say, there is that scheme already.....that joke of a scheme that benefits a very small number is rubbish. It only pays if you are in Iraq or Afghanistan!...great. It is aimed at the new lings kicking around and not the 'older' variety.

i think its a brilliant idea, but in the style of a large embroidered L above the rank. in fact this could be in gold,silver or bronze denoting competancy. further to this you could then have the national flags of all the countries that the languages are relevant to in a line vertically running down the arm of the soldier. hopefully this would make it necessary for the issue of the squaddies favourite the brazzard, in which could be kept a small emergency sized langensheidt(for those interpretating emergencies), and a tiny set of bakelite cans.

p.s. everybody knows he_is_always_guilty

Who needs a badge? Surely the pale green halo, shining filigree-like above our heads and detectable only by the truly chosen is more than enough?

PS I heard 'guilty' was his middle name....

Dags_is_innocent said:
You really only see the sad and old wearing them now.
True, I know 2 people who currently wear them one is very sad (and a dim sider), and the other is very old :)

What a load of bollox - why do we need a badge? Are we in the F'in Cub Scouts. Why do people need name tags either, why can't people just do the polite thing of asking someone their name on introduction and then remembering it!?!

steb4life said:
What a load of bollox - why do we need a badge? Are we in the F'in Cub Scouts. Why do people need name tags either, why can't people just do the polite thing of asking someone their name on introduction and then remembering it!?!
that's precisely why the british army introduced the term "mate" in the first place :)

CRmeansCeilingReached said:
steb4life said:
that's precisely why the british army introduced the term "mate" in the first place :)
Officer sports and social phone list:

Lt Col Simmerson (Henry) 4001
Maj Nice-but-Dim (Tim) 4002
Capt Rupert (Rupes) 4003

All other ranks sports and social phone list:

WO2 Atkins (Mate) 5220
SSgt Evans (Taff) 5221
Sgt Strange (Mate) 5224 etc etc

Another idea I have just thought of - How about the word LINGUIST in gold letters underneath your rank on the slide..

But the poll is------would you actually want to wear a badge that denotes you are a linguist?????????????????

No, I don't think it's a good idea. This Corps is divided enough for the most foolish of reasons and personal bitterness, so the prospect of a small section of it being made visibly "different" is not ideal. Secondly, Dags_is_innocent is quite right in terms of the number of badges that individuals currently wear, or are made to wear; it is a waste of effort and another rule to enforce. The German colloquial roundel (not a "target", as Mr Stinky called it), which was introduced in BAOR days, was simply a way of visibly identifying individuals who could provide low-level linguistic assistance during exercises in Germany. It was never intended to be something to aspire to or be proud of, and was normally worn by knobs who didn't pass "O" Level German at school.

Having the word 'Linguist' emblazoned on your uniform (or any other such linguistic indicator) would surely only encourage more bozos to proffer "Go on then, say something in Russian/Arabic/Serbo/Pashtun" (delete as appr). Fcukin Nobs.

deerhunter said:
No, I don't think it's a good idea. This Corps is divided enough for the most foolish of reasons and personal bitterness, so the prospect of a small section of it being made visibly "different" is not ideal. Secondly, Dags_is_innocent is quite right in terms of the number of badges that individuals currently wear, or are made to wear; it is a waste of effort and another rule to enforce. The German colloquial roundel (not a "target", as Mr Stinky called it), which was introduced in BAOR days, was simply a way of visibly identifying individuals who could provide low-level linguistic assistance during exercises in Germany. It was never intended to be something to aspire to or be proud of, and was normally worn by knobs who didn't pass "O" Level German at school.
Agreed - and I agree with the " Say Something In" comment after that. This question does show that at least someone is trying to come up with some ideas to be positive about ling retention - and no! I am not just saying that because I know that person will read this thread, I retire next year and really don't give a fcuk.

Retiring?

Cheers for the heads up. I've just invested £5K in Strongbow shares and JD Weatherspoons have today given the go ahead for 12 new premises in the West Midlands area.