Line on laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by zither, Jun 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a Dell laptop about 3 years old now. Just recently a thin green line has appeared down the right side of the screen. Although I can still view the screen ok its starting to bug me. Surely after 3 years my laptop shouldn't start breaking down already?. I know they have a short life span but for the money you pay for computer stuff nowadays I expect it to last longer. Is it easy to repair it yourself?.
  2. 3-4 years life is normal. Might just be a loose ribbon cable where the screen connects - could be at either end, screen or motherboard.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Can I get at it easy?
  4. Try YouTube.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It's fucked.

Sounds like the invertor has begun to fail, you can do a short term fix by pressing (gently) around the edges of the screen or sometimes sort of bending or flexing the screen by twisting the corners (again gently) but this won't stay fixed.

The easiest way to tell if it is the inverter is to plug an external monitor into the laptop and see if the problem is reproduced on that one.

Live with it until it gets worse (which it might) and then get the inverter replaced. Should be reasonably cheap.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks lads :)
  7. Same thing happened to the screen of my Dell about a day after the warranty expired. Did a search and found that it was a known problem and happened regularly to Dell screens. Probably happens to other manufacturers as well.

You’ll probably find over time that more and more lines appear. A replacement screen will do the trick when it gets too bad to put up with. Since I changed mine I’ve had no problems and I’ve had it longer than the Dell original. Clearly they use crap components.

Dell’s customer service was useless and sure as hell my next pooter won’t be one of theirs.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Same thing happened to my old Toshiba lappy,eventually it failed completely,at that time replacement screens were mega expansive so I just went & bought a new one,it was only about three years old too....
    And another thumbs down for Dell from me as well!..So far my three year old Dell has had to be re-formatted,a new power supply (another known fault) & a new internal Hard Drive!
  9. Sounds familiar invertor went on my D(h)ell after 38 month, their customer service is the pits, totally do not give a toss.

Switched to MSI excellent .
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the invertor powers the ccfl, when the inverter goes the screen blacks out. a line down the screen is the screen, it usually has had a smack from something, been shut onto a pen or kicked over. twist it at the top around the line and it should go away which shows the fault. you might be able to split the lid and pack something behind the fault area like a bit of card or blutack, sometimes taping the contacts tighter by putting tape on the green board to the white backing can sort it out.

be gentle and worst case get the screen code and buy a second hand ebay one.

not surprised its a dell as its a common fault with them
  11. I had a white line on my laptop screen.

It went once I snorted it off.
  12. Have you tried simply tipexing it out?