Line Laying Exercise Idea

robbo2347

Clanker
I have to set up a line laying exercise, and i have no idea on the best way to make this work successfully. Can anyone who has ever been on one or has ever organised an exercise like this please share your ideas so it can help me design a good exercise. Thanks very much.

If you mean laying phone lines, get everyone to carry a penknife (one they bought themselves) and a small roll of insulating tape for quick repairs. Practice burying part of it, not more than 30 yards/metres or it will take time to recover at the end of the exercise. It also makes it harder to find breaks in the line - you can build that into the ex. Tell your boys/girls to conceal the wires. Then ask other units on the ex to cut any wires they find. That should keep you all busy. Good luck fixing breakages in the pouring rain. See if you can run a line using one wire with the phones earthed at each end, and if that works, then see if you can eavesdrop without being detected. Phones are boring, but they work.

Jarrod's got it. Crossings. Roads, streams, etc.

Get them to do figure of 8 repairs in D10 with nothing but a pair of pliers from a Pt 3A toolkit, cos that's all you might have. Don't let them use strippers (wire-type that is!), Leathermen etc for the exercise. Fine to use the fancy tools when doing it for real, but training should be worst-case.

When introducing faults, you could cut one of the D10 pair in one place and the other one a few feet down the line. Also cut and remove a piece of line in a ball-ache place to replace it. Aim being to NOT replace it in the ball ache place, you joint the cable in a convenient place and re-lay the broken bit in toto. Much easier than fcuking about up a ladder in the rain. Can also introduce other PITA factors, like dead batteries in the field telephones. They should learn to check the two phones back to back before trying them at opposite ends of a link.

Get them to recover the line at endex and coil it properly. That's a skill in itself. Being able to un-birds-nest a pile of cable/rope/hose has come in handy over the years.

Edited to add a couple other points:

Wire, and cables made of those wires are almost universally made in a spiral manner. Get the students to understand that and life will be a lot easier for them. The cable will naturally want to go in one direction. If you force it in the other, it will put stress on the cable and possibly break. It's also an absolute cnut to recover line without understanding this.

Also get them to consider bend radius, you don't ever want right-angle "bends" in cable. Suspended crossings should as far as possible have some form of strain relief. D10 would probably be OK, but anything much heavier and you're asking for trouble if you use the strength of the cable itself to take strain.

Last edited:
... and all whilst wearing rubber gloves and an S10. I'd leave it until August.

... and all whilst wearing rubber gloves and an S10. I'd leave it until August.

Oh the joy, I remember it well.

Ended up wearing shorts, t-shirt and trainers under full noddy kit with a faceveil tucked in around the neck to hide the infraction. ...............Then some twat called Endex at scoff time and everyone in the mess-hall started taking their noddy kit off apart from our gang, "....errrr, no we'd rather not carry it back and juggle everything we'll just take it off back in the section"........quick exit under suspicious, questioning looks from Colonel and Badgeman.

Ceres

LE
For a realistic exercise lay 10ks of don 10 then hack into the phone system and make international calls for free. Then you have reached the true capabilities of what is possible.

The exercise is easy, terrain is the governing factor! as others have said try to pick a route that is realistic but picks out one major hazard to cross, train tracks are good but difficult to arrange. The key to whether or not it is a good exercise are the orders, even though the main aim is to practice liney skills, the O group ste the scene. Or it will just be an awkward walk in the country. Factor in an injury, take out the leader on an evac but continue with the task, see how much the rest of them were listeneing.

Didn't think we used D10. Everything we will connect up will be with cat 5 or fibre. I'd practice laying out a small headquarters and routing cables neatly and safely. Have you got any comms kit?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

ACAB

LE
Remember to loop out and loop in. Having laid your line then carry out various loops so that should the main comms cable cut the loops will keep it viable.