Line kit query

Years ago, when I was first laying line, there was a "tool compression" and (I think) Hellerman(?) joints, little sleeve widgets used with the tool to splice breaks together.
Are these still in use, or have they gone the way of old signals kit to the Great QM in the sky?
If still around, or modern equivalents, NSNs much appreciated.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Years ago, when I was first laying line, there was a "tool compression" and (I think) Hellerman(?) joints, little sleeve widgets used with the tool to splice breaks together.
Are these still in use, or have they gone the way of old signals kit to the Great QM in the sky?
I've seen similar kicking about, not sure if the same tool exists

I remember them in the Sigs Pl back in the 70s. So much more professional than simply baring two ends of D10 and tying a knot or twisting it together.

Mind you, to the average numpty in the rifle platoons it was still up there with arcane black magic. ;-)

Soldiers are no doubt much more sophisticated these days... :)

I have used line crimping tools recently, well a few years ago now, working on undersea equipment. These tools are still used where a nice waterproof joint is required and access is limited. More often now there are small compression or heat shrink fitting used.

Edited to add I have no idea what the Royal Corps currently uses.

I was still using them in 2017, and I've seen them on the CQMS' shelf since then.

The 'linesman tool? Bloody expensive price of kit if I remember correctly. We were told they were a couple of hundred each.
I bought myself a piece of civi kit that did the same job (DM 30) from the NAAFI and no fear of being billed if i lost or damaged it

Latest Threads