Lincoln ranked best president, Bush near the bottom.

Discussion in 'US' started by KevinB, Feb 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Abraham Lincoln was ranked as the best POTUS, followed by Washington and FDR, in a survey of 65 historians carried out by C-SPAN.

Former President George W. Bush was ranked as 36th out of 42 - with only James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, William Henry Harrison and Warren G. Harding ranked as worst (yes, one is missing).

W's lowest scores were in international relations (41st) and in economic management (40th).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/ranking_presidents

2. Do you have a point or are you just posting another waste of bandwidth thread that revoles around geting the GOP to bait the dems and vice a versa...

Seriously you are both a waste of skin and oxygen, posting the results of this pole means nothing other than too 65 historians polled...

Seriously your not realy wanted here cant you find a republican site whos bandwidth you can waste scumfcuk

3. To those really interested in US politics (and this is the US forum), the results of the poll do mean something.

And, Halo, if you don't like what I post, don't read it. Simple.

4. Actually it doesnt mean much

In Bush's case it is really far too early to tell if he will go up in ratings or likely down.

Harry Truman left office with lower approval ratings from the population, and now is ranked 5th. on that list. Despite having a 22% rating in 1953. Bush for better or worse left at 29%

5. Sorry to say, but Bush GW, was seen over here in the UK as THE bottom . . . . .

6. I agree that when not much time has yet passed, it is difficult to gauge a president's exact ranking. However, W. did get you in a costly and most likely unnecessary war (which unfortunately Bliar joined him in) and he all but ignored the financial crisis that began to show itself in the middle part of his second term and that may well cause a worldwide depression. He may not be 36th, but I can't imagine him ever being the ranks of the 'great' presidents.

7. I would've expected Bush to be given a separate place below the lowest point...

8. Personally, I agree with you, but one must strive to be objective, Dom. :wink:

9. Wasn't Washington a slave owner
    In fact wern't all the founding fathers racist, white, middle age, rich, slave owning men?

10. And Barney Franks? whats his culpability?

He was Congressional Oversight head on the Mortgage Banks while living with his Boytoy Herb Moses who was the Fannie Mae Exec who came up with the brilliant plan to give loans out to the unqualified.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs&feature=channel_page

http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2008/20080924145932.aspx

11. Being men of their time, 25 of 55 Constitutional Convention delegates did own slaves. Washington, after his involvement in the US war of rebellion, turned against slavery, and stipulated that all of his slaves be freed upon the death of his wife. Jefferson, although he owned slaves and reportedly had children by one, was also against slavery.

Although some Founders were absolutely against slavery, they did not want to risk alienating the southern states, which depended on slave labour for cultivating rice, cotton, and tobacco. In Article 1, Section 9, it stated that in twenty years (1808) trading in slaves would be banned, and in this year Congress passed such a law. On the other hand, the Fugitive Slave Clause said that a slave who escaped, even to a free state, must be returned to his owner.