Limitless – The Autobiography of Tim Peake

ARRSE Rating
5.00 star(s)
This book was given to Mr. GRB for Christmas, but I sneakily read it before the operation which made his eyesight return so he could see to read! Auld_Yin suggested that a review might be useful here, so here’s a review.

This is a well-written, easy to read book, detailing Tim Peake’s life from childhood in Chichester, through careers as a barman, Officer Cadet, helicopter pilot and astronaut. His style is down-to-earth, often self-deprecating, and full of those funny dits that military folk seem to gather about them during life. It speaks also of his marriage, his children, and his aspirations for the future of Science and Scientists inspired by Space Travel. There are photographs, and some rather moving sections as well as some ‘laugh out loud’ moments. (RSM 1st Battalion, Royal Green Jackets particularly.)

Limitless2.jpg

It’s a deeply personal account of his experiences. Whether from school, from Operation Raleigh in Alaska, from Northern Ireland, Bonn, the USA or the International Space Station he comes across as a deeply thoughtful, intensely positive person, who can see the wider picture of what’s happening around him, and the reasons why sometimes life gives disappointments amongst the successes, through no fault of your own. He pulls no punches about the effect his choices had on his family life, and I particularly think he is incredibly lucky to have found his wife, who has truly been his partner throughout all of this.

I really enjoyed this book, the stories, the tales of adventures and the interesting people Major Peake met along his way. From schoolteachers, CCF instructors and Sandhurst Interviewers to colleagues on Operation Raleigh, Astronaut Candidates and experienced space travellers, all make up part of the wonderful life described here. It’s an inspiring read, and I recommend it to readers of all ages.

Amazon product

Last edited:

Latest Threads