Limit on new posters

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by TheresaMay, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Yes - Give them a chance to get the vibe first

32 vote(s)
  2. No - Let them go wading in like a social hand grenade

68 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Is there any way vBulletin can add a block on people posting until they have been registered for a fixed amount of time?

It would put a stop to threads like these appearing:

More importantly, it would stop idiots hijacking other unsuspecting people's social networking sites and faking accounts to a degree (since a lot of these things are done at the time 'for a laugh') and if they found themselves unable to post, most people wouldn't go to the bother if they had to wait 2-4 weeks.

Wind ups are one thing - but using ARRSE in this way is going to cause tears before bedtime.

If it cant be done, or if it's a bad idea then fair enough I shall crawl back under my rock ;-)
    • Like Like x 10
  2. But wouldn't making people wait 2-4 weeks before they post just drive away people who might have otherwise made a contribution to the site?

Though, there are a few forums I've used where new users need to have all their posts checked by a moderator for a set period of time and they can't start a new thread.
  3. I waited three years before my first post, was that too long then ?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I voted no. I quite like it when civvies come on here and make twats of themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

getting the feel of the site though can be done without joining up and if people want a sock puppet that badly they they will just take a few more days so will have a few set up ready.

limiting posting might also stop genuine users from defending themselves when they ask an innocent but bone question about the boathouse paint scheme.
  6. What he said.

This latest phenomenon is very scary and it's only a matter of time before it really blows up in ARRSE's face er...if you see what I mean.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Would it actually make a difference policing new posters when most of the idiotic posts are made by exisiting members sock puppets, and when just about every sub forum is just like an extension of the NAAFI Bar anyway? Maybe robust MODding would help more than putting constraints on new posters.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. If people just sat on their hands and didn't bloody rise to it EVERY time, the threads would die a death! Those who insist on replying "******" or "**** off sock puppet" are simply doing exactly what the OP wants! It doesn't take robust modding or time limits, just a modicum of ******* self restraint coupled with a tiny dusting of common sense!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 20
  9. I was a supermoderator on such a forum. It was quite a large forum and there were 8 of us plus one admin and 2 'techies'.

Didn't take much work although arrse is about twice the size.
  10. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Indeed - but how many people who want to ask a genuine question, use the NAAFI Bar or Intelligence Cell?

...maybe the 'banter' forums are the ones that should have the restriction then (if it was feasible)...?

Or would that just push the problem elsewhere?
  11. For most of us it was far, far too early :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I think the nature of the forum members means the whole site ends up in banter even the serious threads when the question has been answered the yo mamma posts come to the fore.

block one avenue another will pop up.
  13. Sometimes surely, it's a right laugh seeing who is going to fall into the bear trap, and get hammered in the next round of ROP's?

Dodgy posts in the grown up areas can easily be spotted, and as BB67 stated above, it only needs a bit of self restraint...

Sock puppetry, waltism, shit wind ups and general wankiness in the NAAFI should be allowed to remain.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Isnt that most of the posters on Arrse ?
  15. It'd be more fun to prevent people with high post counts from responding to a thread until it's 10 posts in.
    • Like Like x 1