• Yes - Give them a chance to get the vibe first

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • No - Let them go wading in like a social hand grenade

Votes: 68 68.0%

• Total voters

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Is there any way vBulletin can add a block on people posting until they have been registered for a fixed amount of time?

It would put a stop to threads like these appearing:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/193284-saluting-officer-if-you-not-armed-forces.html

More importantly, it would stop idiots hijacking other unsuspecting people's social networking sites and faking accounts to a degree (since a lot of these things are done at the time 'for a laugh') and if they found themselves unable to post, most people wouldn't go to the bother if they had to wait 2-4 weeks.

Wind ups are one thing - but using ARRSE in this way is going to cause tears before bedtime.

If it cant be done, or if it's a bad idea then fair enough I shall crawl back under my rock ;-)

Z

Zarathustra

But wouldn't making people wait 2-4 weeks before they post just drive away people who might have otherwise made a contribution to the site?

Though, there are a few forums I've used where new users need to have all their posts checked by a moderator for a set period of time and they can't start a new thread.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
getting the feel of the site though can be done without joining up and if people want a sock puppet that badly they they will just take a few more days so will have a few set up ready.

limiting posting might also stop genuine users from defending themselves when they ask an innocent but bone question about the boathouse paint scheme.

Is there any way vBulletin can add a block on people posting until they have been registered for a fixed amount of time?

It would put a stop to threads like these appearing:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/intelligence-cell/193284-saluting-officer-if-you-not-armed-forces.html

More importantly, it would stop idiots hijacking other unsuspecting people's social networking sites and faking accounts to a degree (since a lot of these things are done at the time 'for a laugh') and if they found themselves unable to post, most people wouldn't go to the bother if they had to wait 2-4 weeks.

Wind ups are one thing - but using ARRSE in this way is going to cause tears before bedtime.

If it cant be done, or if it's a bad idea then fair enough I shall crawl back under my rock ;-)
What he said.

This latest phenomenon is very scary and it's only a matter of time before it really blows up in ARRSE's face er...if you see what I mean.

Would it actually make a difference policing new posters when most of the idiotic posts are made by exisiting members sock puppets, and when just about every sub forum is just like an extension of the NAAFI Bar anyway? Maybe robust MODding would help more than putting constraints on new posters.

If people just sat on their hands and didn't bloody rise to it EVERY time, the threads would die a death! Those who insist on replying "******" or "**** off sock puppet" are simply doing exactly what the OP wants! It doesn't take robust modding or time limits, just a modicum of ******* self restraint coupled with a tiny dusting of common sense!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Though, there are a few forums I've used where new users need to have all their posts checked by a moderator for a set period of time and they can't start a new thread.
I was a supermoderator on such a forum. It was quite a large forum and there were 8 of us plus one admin and 2 'techies'.

Didn't take much work although arrse is about twice the size.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
limiting posting might also stop genuine users from defending themselves when they ask an innocent but bone question about the boathouse paint scheme.
Indeed - but how many people who want to ask a genuine question, use the NAAFI Bar or Intelligence Cell?

...maybe the 'banter' forums are the ones that should have the restriction then (if it was feasible)...?

Or would that just push the problem elsewhere?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed - but how many people who want to ask a genuine question, use the NAAFI Bar or Intelligence Cell?

...maybe the 'banter' forums are the ones that should have the restriction then (if it was feasible)...?

Or would that just push the problem elsewhere?
I think the nature of the forum members means the whole site ends up in banter even the serious threads when the question has been answered the yo mamma posts come to the fore.

block one avenue another will pop up.

Sometimes surely, it's a right laugh seeing who is going to fall into the bear trap, and get hammered in the next round of ROP's?

Dodgy posts in the grown up areas can easily be spotted, and as BB67 stated above, it only needs a bit of self restraint...

Sock puppetry, waltism, shit wind ups and general wankiness in the NAAFI should be allowed to remain.

It'd be more fun to prevent people with high post counts from responding to a thread until it's 10 posts in.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
In fairness to our esteemed administrators and moderators, whatever solution is chosen will have to be low labour. Because if the first 10 posts will be checked by moderators before they appear, the mass ranks of sock-puppet owners will just create ever more sock-puppets and try and swamp the system.

A simple system might be:

-- Include in the welcome email a list of do's and don'ts. (This might be being done already).
-- In the welcoming email say the account will be activated in 2 days time and recommend the user spend that time reading the forums before they become eligible to post.
-- Work out a moderator awarded cumulative points system for auto-banning posters for x days. 10 points = 1 day, 20 points = 3 days, 100 points = permanent ban etc.
-- Put up an infractions tab on the user profile.

Then if someone does want to be a bell end and starts accumulating moderator infraction points, people being annoyed by said bell end can see the infractions building up on the profile and know it probably won't be long before that specific user name is banned - either temporarily or permanently.

ASBO's for ARRSE...

Wordsmith

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
the speed this place can move at times though the posts will get lost. I've been on forums where they have had to hide posts due to spammers and robots. and others where it has been abused by the mods.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
these award winning threads - are they the ones where the first six posters happen to be yourself in various states of inebriation?