Limewire help

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by thrombo, Apr 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am using AOL 9.0 VR, and my operating system is Vista. Here is the problem
    I want to use Limewire, but when I load it up, it is telling me that I have a Firewall switched on. I have turned off Windows Firewall and the Mcafee Firewall, but it is still saying the same thing. I am certain it is something to do with AOL, because a friend of mine uses Vista, and his Limewire works fine.
    Anyone had this problem? Any tips or solutions would be great.
  2. Here's a tip, dont turn your firewall off, dont use lime wire

Right click on the Limewire Icon on you desktop, click "Properties", go to the tab "Compatibility", check the box, "Run this program in Compatitbility mode for:" and make sure it says "Windows XP (Service Pack 2"

Now open Limewire,

Should work!

Read through the thread though as there seems to be a few other possible problems/fixes. Mcafee for instance.

Have fun
  4. thanks for that. massive help. nobber.

edited to add- not you steven, slimjim.
  5. tried that before steven- no help unfortunatley.
  6. AOL are evil. They take over your computer and treat you like an idiot which is okay if you are a 78 year old grannie who needs her cyberhands held, but a pain in the botty if you are anything else.

Bin AOL and Limewire and go for Emule. Heaps better.

Edit...years ago I made the mistake of using a free internet AOL disc. In the end I had to reformat the hard drive to clean it all out, it was literally the only way.
  7. thanks deputy, getting closer !
  8. It is massive help, limewire is shit, turning off your firewall is asking for it...

Sorry did I not spell it out enough for you? Does your brain hurt when you think?
  9. and a wire...

Attached Files:

• wire.jpg
      File size:
      36.5 KB
  10. yes.
  11. Whether using Limewire or Emule keep your anti virus up to date. I have used both briefly and got shed loads of viruses detected in the files.

As for AOL, I totally agree with Awol. Sign up with a decent ISP.
  12. awwww!

Limewire will fill your pc with viruses! Personally I think this is the best torrent client

Make sure you scan for viruses and spyware regularly and defrag your hard drive if you're doing a lot of downloading etc

Also use this with your downloads, helps keep the tinternet police away (not that I think you will breaking the law as we all know it would be wrong)
  13. i agree azureus and transmission are the way to go
    limewire, frostwire etc p2p stuff is virus riddled
    which is ok if u have a mac like me :)
    not so good if u have a pc and *hiss* vista
  14. just tried that matey, didnt work. after speaking to a geek i know, he said its P2P thingy bob stuff as a whole that AOL doesn't like.

However, I will not lose this battle.
  15. it does work you have to make sure u download the right program for your system and u have to have ur java updated.

such programs run better on mac it must be said