Lime chutney

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Fang_Farrier, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anybody made this or can recommend a good recipe? Have some limes need using up!

2. Boldnotold

Boldnotold LE Book Reviewer

I've got one for lemon chutney, which you could use replacing the lemons with limes.

4 large lemons, washed
    8 oz onions, skinned
    1 oz salt
    water to cover
    1lb sugar
    4 oz sultanas
    1 oz mustard seed
    1 level tsp ground ginger
    half level tsp cayenne pepper
    3/4 pint vinegar

Slice the lemons/limes and remove the pips. Chop the onions then put them with the lemons/limes into a bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and leave for 24 hours. Place in a pan with the water to just cover and simmer without the lid until the peel is tender. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer until the mixture is thick - about 1 hour. Pot and cover as usual.

Swap you for some lemon marmalade, which I've made this morning, and is now cooking in the kitchen?

3. I had a recipe on the computer for this, but it takes a YEAR to make... still interested?

4. Fang_Farrier

This sounds like the one to go for.

Thanks for offer of lemon marmalade but will gracefully decline, as unfortunately no real fans of marmalade in the house.

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

There is a limit to the number of times I am prepared to offer my hand in marriage and half of everything I own. Apart from the offshore stuff.

Serious question.

I have heard of keeping pickles in the sun or somewhere warm. But the Koreans bury theirs for years in sealed pots in the cold ground. Pickles are better on the keeping, so keep them warm or cold?

6. Fang_Farrier

We store our chutneys, preserves, pickles and Mrs F's speciality, Chilli Jam, in an open fronted cupboard in the utility room, fairly dark and not overly warm. Seems to work rather well.

7. With the lime pickle, keep it warm while preparing/salting - direct sunlight adds to the curing effect of the salt (I also like to add a bit of sugar as well). About a month does it. Once you've got a finished product, keep cold.

8. Boldnotold

I have accepted your offer, more than once, but now you have your very own ARRSE stalker, I fear for my safety, and will therefore retire to my shed, replete with marmalade sandwiches, until the heat dies down.

I shall also adopt the name Paddington Bear, just to be on the safe side.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Fang_Farrier

It's eating wooden spoon!

Attached Files:

10. Boldnotold

That will add a certain crunch to the texture.