Likelyhood of compulsory call-up if serving TA

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#1
This has probably ben done ad-infinitum, but I'm buggered if I can find it (or be arrsed - do excuse me).

Got me service records being dragged down to my nearest T.A. unit with a view to rejoining, and want to know what the likelyhood of getting sent to hot, sandy planes is, without volunteering first, as in voluntold.

I've got to get this question past the missus. Personally, if I joined back up, and then got dragged off somewhere for a tan, no problem with that, but the missus and baby might object, so need some clarification.

No, I'm not a refusenik, peace-loving, tree hugging wossgayname blerk, and no, it won't change my decision. Just thought I'd mention that. :D
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
msr said:
Currently nil.

msr
Why fank you MSR, I'll pass that on to the missus as a factual thing. She doesn't understand the need within a person to do this sort of stuff, and is flapping somewhat. I must emphasise - this is not one of those "it's for the missus", over the counter porn questions.

Any knowledge about current state of T.A. funding and kit issues? My old Regt. was NATO role and got the good stuff, pretty much on time. Is it still the same these days?

How much current ops experience and kit is working its way back to T.A. units?

Edited to add: Such as sniping - still de-rigeur in the T.A. are are they all merely marksmen these days?

Thanks Puttees - got that one prepared. "Cor blimey bird, it WAS nil when I joined, but it's all changed, gotta go, byyeeee!" :D
 
#5
I was told I would have to go on tour at some point in the ta.. though they have some new system for it so you don't have to go..
I'd go with msr he no doubt know's more than me :p
 
#6
Subb0 said:
I was told I would have to go on tour at some point in the ta.. though they have some new system for it so you don't have to go..
I'd go with msr he no doubt know's more than me :p
I think they just meant a tour of the local boozers, thats what my home unit is like!
 
#7
Biped said:
msr said:
Currently nil.

msr
Why fank you MSR, I'll pass that on to the missus as a factual thing. She doesn't understand the need within a person to do this sort of stuff, and is flapping somewhat. I must emphasise - this is not one of those "it's for the missus", over the counter porn questions.

Any knowledge about current state of T.A. funding and kit issues? My old Regt. was NATO role and got the good stuff, pretty much on time. Is it still the same these days?

How much current ops experience and kit is working its way back to T.A. units?

Edited to add: Such as sniping - still de-rigeur in the T.A. are are they all merely marksmen these days?

Thanks Puttees - got that one prepared. "Cor blimey bird, it WAS nil when I joined, but it's all changed, gotta go, byyeeee!" :D
TA funding: see all the other threads on this subject, but in summary, tighter than a tight thing on a tight day.

Kit issues: no worries.

Current Ops experience: given that 14,000 TA blokes have done a tour, there is no shortage to go round. Although not all of it is directly relevant to the kit / trg you do in the UK.

Current Ops Kit: won't go into too much detail and it really depends on your capbadge.

Sniping: don't think this is available any more.

How long have you been out?

msr
 
#10
DavetheApe said:
polar69 said:
Been in ten years, been called up 0
Polar69 -- hope you don't mind if I'm the first....

"WAR DODGER!!!!!"
Sorry 'bout that!
No he's not. All mobilisations since Nov 05 have been voluntary. If the army needed his skills before then, they would have asked for them.

msr
 
#11
It really depends on whether your unit gets the shout. There is a "traffic light" system in place, so nobody should be mobilised against their will, or more accuratley their employers will. But ultimately it depends on how much your TM wants his OBE :cry:
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#12
A lot depends on your trade/capbadge, but no compulsory call-outs for the TA. RAuxAF have done so, RNR And RMR are coming somewhat close apparently, but TA are OK unless the Army Chiefs change their minds.

And apart from sandy/dangerous places, there's always Op TOSCA - 6 months in Cyprus, good tan, high boredom levels, and a medal - what more could you want!
 
#14
Good job I'm thick skinned, mind you since I signed up for Crab air in 88 and have never seen owt more dangerous than downtown Newcastle on a Saturday night, I guess you could be right :p
 
#15
OldSnowy said:
A lot depends on your trade/capbadge, but no compulsory call-outs for the TA.
Yep and their are some corps with nearly no trades the regular army wants (such as IS Eng). Plus if they go for mobilising you for your civilian skills, its illegal (if your in a equivalent trade in the TA, such as nurse/doctor its ok).

p.s. been in 20 years called out once, deployed 0 due to employer.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#16
Well, thanks again. Thanks for the PM MSR.

I was in for four years, been out for 15, qualified as Sniper, hence the question. Yeeesssssss, I know I'm an old b@stard and will be mercilessly mocked by the teenies in the Pltn, but once I've had them bent over and rogered for a while, they'll soon look up to me and call me daddy.

I missed GW1, GW2 and just about every other jolly our forces have been on, but one can never say never eh? Like I said, not overly fussed, but the missus was concrete 'proof' or she'll clamp up like a clam in a storm!

What I want to do is get back in, get stuck in, (hopefully) pass all me fitness tests, start doing some proper shooting and dig lots of trenches with a small shovel, oh, yes, lots of trenches, and lots of weekends training too.

(Wouldn't mind having a blat of that minimi thing, the underslung launcher and all the new toys too.
 
#17
polar said:
Yep and their are some corps with nearly no trades the regular army wants (such as IS Eng). Plus if they go for mobilising you for your civilian skills, its illegal (if your in a equivalent trade in the TA, such as nurse/doctor its ok).
Not quite sure about that - but I may be horribly wrong. My impression (through our CVHQ Chief Clerk who knows far more about this than me) was that if you had your civvie skills registered on the system as an adqual or equivalent, you could be trawled and mobilised (although this would currently, as has been said, be only on a voluntary basis.) He made this remark as I had a couple of unique* (then) or very rare ones.

* It has to be said that, since JPA, I have found out that these have morphed into "RLC Master Butcher", "Chipmunk Maintainer" and a couple less sniggerworthy ones. And, no, the movers still won't let me take my Gerber on Crab-air.
 
#18
Idrach said:
polar said:
Yep and their are some corps with nearly no trades the regular army wants (such as IS Eng). Plus if they go for mobilising you for your civilian skills, its illegal (if your in a equivalent trade in the TA, such as nurse/doctor its ok).
Not quite sure about that - but I may be horribly wrong. My impression (through our CVHQ Chief Clerk who knows far more about this than me) was that if you had your civvie skills registered on the system as an adqual or equivalent, you could be trawled and mobilised (although this would currently, as has been said, be only on a voluntary basis.) He made this remark as I had a couple of unique* (then) or very rare ones.
Was a thread about it, I've not seen anything officially but I'm sure you'd agree its dodgy ground. Army/MOD 'stealing' civilian skills that they'd not contributed to.
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#19
polar said:
OldSnowy said:
A lot depends on your trade/capbadge, but no compulsory call-outs for the TA.
Yep and their are some corps with nearly no trades the regular army wants (such as IS Eng). Plus if they go for mobilising you for your civilian skills, its illegal (if your in a equivalent trade in the TA, such as nurse/doctor its ok).

p.s. been in 20 years called out once, deployed 0 due to employer.
(My bold) No, it's not illegal at all. The current policy is:

Use of individual Reservists out of their military role
Some specialist VRF units are made up of people utilising
their civilian skills in a military context but, in most cases,
people join the Volunteer Reserve Forces to undertake
military activities which provide a contrast to their civilian
employment. We have a duty to respect this motive when
mobilising individuals.
We will not mobilise a Reservist to take advantage of his
or her civilian skills if he or she joined to serve in a different
role, except with the express agreement of the Reservist
and his or her employer.
This will not preclude a commander on operations from
ordering an already mobilised Reservist to carry out a task
for which he or she is qualified, provided it is in response
to a changing situation, is a short term expediency and
no other alternative exists.


The current policy(not Laws, but internal policy, put in place by the MOD)are meant to please both employers (who may not want to see their expensively-trained engineer 'poached' by the Army) and employees (many join the TA to get away from their day jobs, after all). There is nothing in the legislation to stop the Army mobilising you because you are a Farrier, or a Refrigeration Engineer, or anything else for that matter - and using you as such. The problem comes, of course, in whether they know what your particular skills are, and even more difficult is knowing whether you are current.

Of course, as the last bit above says, once you are mobilised they can do what they want with you - exactly as happened in Iraq to me and many others - who were plucked out of Army posts and sent to work in reconstruction.

And, as it is Policy, not Law, it can be changed pretty easily....
 
#20
Lets face it, it the Poop hit the fan to such an extent that the entire TA we're to be called out, then i'd bet anyone with previous experience would quickly be joining us in any case (i.e. you Biped!).

Lets just hope they never have to resort to drafting... but with Child obesity i guess in a few years that won't be an option.

TB
 

Latest Threads