Likely to fail degree. What to do?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Paddy89, Apr 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Long story short I chose to study the wrong degree (Maths). I'm likely to fail as I don't have the skills or passion to do well. I am likely to be awarded a Higher National Diploma however. I am wondering if this will cut the mustard in terms of being considered a graduate? I cannot seem to find information on what the army considers a graduate anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. I'm guessing that with the shortage of Maths teachers and the Government's push to raise the standard of Maths education; that your HND would be held in high regard. Have you looked into wether you could go to Teacher Training College instead?

As for accurate answers about what the Army thinks, best move is to ask at your Carrears Office.
  3. Thanks but teaching maths would mean the blind leading the blind. I asked at the RM careers bit before I had a change of heart, their line was "It doesn't matter, you're just getting beasted everyday so you won't care how much you're earning or how quickly you're getting promoted." the guy also evidently didn't know anything as he told me three A-levels weren't enough to join as he got them confused with Scottish highers.

Just curious as to if anyone on here knew..
  4. Times seem to have changed. In my day, if you failed any year in your degree course, you could drop onto the HND course, but you'd still have to pass the HND exams. Says a lot for modern education if you can be awarded a Diploma for failing a different course.
  5. Work harder and stop wasting your time on Arrse.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Sound advice, that. Can I have it for a sig?
  7. 1) work Harder.
    2) If you have not pissed away all four years, how about changing Major.
    3) If you have pissed away too much time, how the hell do you miss in the first two years that you are not remotely numerate.
    4) Sounds like you did not pay attention to (3) and have so poor a grade that they will not even award you a Third (worthless peice of Uni' confetti)

5) Have you thought about a rewarding career in retail?
  8. My useless arse of a brother in law managed to score a Maths teacher job with a ba in business and basket weaving. You should at least get on the course.
  9. Of course. No charge! :)
  10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Maths has many branches - are you too far along in your studies to change the focus of your studies?

11. The army will not consider you a graduate without a degree. You can top up a HND to a Bachelor degree (without honours) by doing a short 60 credit course - for example with the Open University.

The Army make no distinctions between honours and non-honours degrees. This would take at least a year mind. Don't know how much of a rush you're in.

My recommendation - if you can, knuckle down and finish the degree you're on.
  12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You're all missing the point. Paddy, you should immediately sue your secondary school, the careers adviser and your old maths teacher for failing to tell you that you're not suited for a maths degree. You should cite your lost military career in the tribunals in order to get more sympathy and money. It's the modern way.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. There were people on my CC who had a pass at degree level (ie below a 3rd) and were still recognised as being graduates, at that time it was about £4K a year extra and they got an extra 2.5 years seniority which meant Lt after 1 year and Captain some 2 years after that. I believe certainly that timelines and seniority have changed since then.

I couldn't find the information via google and websites either, however there should be a specific recruiter assigned to your university, I would contact that individual and speak to them.

otherwise the only other answer would be keep your feet in the Intray of your recruitment office.

good luck
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer