Like/Dis-like or voting buttons

It's not my fault that I somehow attract the site chods to my posts.

A dislike button would stop the site banter IMO.

It will also envoke a law suit between Westpoint and Arrse when he sues for RSI.
It has got to be your fault. Do not try to shift the blame and the responsibility.

Would it be possible to have a button which PrinceAlbert could press which then automatically logs him out for 24 hours? It could be disguised as a 'Dislike' button.
Even better if it was wired up to an ejector seat on the seat he sits on when sat at his computer, licking the screen.

... A “dislike” button could discourage some posters, thereby not only reducing the traffic that the site needs, but also making some posters reluctant to express views and weakening the potential for interesting debate, even if interesting for all the “wrong” reasons.
Do you think it would put more people off than being called a "fcukwit illerate psichotic dribbling moronick deluded bellend" for the rest of the thread?

Naturally, this being ARRSE there will those who would actively engage in even more baiting and trolling just to drive up their “dislike” count, so exacerbating the problem. Sanctions are already available and have recently been increased in scope. It might be an idea to see if they improve things first?
Given that Dislikes, like Likes, would not be anonymous, I think people would soon pick up on who the master baiters and trolls are, and such people could find themselves suitably rewarded by being ROPed from the grown-up's threads. In the end, I think the novelty of having a new button with which to crayon will wear off and, like the Like button, it will be generally useful.

Oh, and I don't care if people don't like this post. They can't vote it down (yet!) :eye:
... Careful! I might put it to a poll. :twisted:

Do you think it would put more people off than being called a "fcukwit illerate psichotic dribbling moronick deluded bellend" for the rest of the thread?

Given that Dislikes, like Likes, would not be anonymous, I think people would soon pick up on who the master baiters and trolls are, and such people could find themselves suitably rewarded by being ROPed from the grown-up's threads. In the end, I think the novelty of having a new button with which to crayon will wear off and, like the Like button, it will be generally useful.

... Careful! I might put it to a poll. :twisted:
Yes, I do think it would put *some* people off more than the usual insults. Or as you yourself put it:

Excognito said:
(I had previously thought of suggesting a 'Dislike' button, but my ego is too fragile to stand the bitter truth and a 'Throbber' button would see me reduced to tears)
(Found here: http://www.arrse.co.uk/arrse-site-issues/90114-who-has-posted-most-responses-arrse.html)

Although perhaps you meant it tongue-in-cheek. :?

I agree that there would be some positive aspects to having a Dislike button, but I still think they would be outweighed by the negatives. It’s already bad enough for newbies signing up without yet another way to drive people away.

I too thought that this would be an ideal issue to put to a poll, but it’s a privately owned website and business, not a club with voting rights. Given the reason for this thread in the first place, and the all too predictable way it quickly developed, I’m not so sure I’d set too much store by the results.

Having a like button is just that, it saves further posting(s) simply saying that you agree with the OP. On the other hand, a dislike button means an alternate point of view which, if it is valid enough, should be worthy of a posted response.

But the biggest argument against a like/dislike pair is that it will bring the site into Daily Mail territory, readers will assume that they must vote on every post and often will see it as a competition against likes and dislikes. Can't see anything postitive in that.

For what is worth, I'm in favour of keeping the present situation- that is, just a like button.

Yes, I do think it would put *some* people off more than the usual insults. Or as you yourself put it:
It may do, but if they're that sensitive, I think they'd be much more likely to be put off by actual insults (especially if they haven't lurked long enough to work out who to ignore or take in good humour)

I'm a speshul case. I think you'll find that somebody less robust than myself (assuming such a creature exists) would never have made it into the CCF/Cadets, let alone the Forces ... or, if they did, it wouldn't have been for long. I think I just scraped in at the upper end of the Ego Fragility Index - either that or they didn't have the heart to break the rejection to me.

Although, I sometimes like to do things by indirection.

I agree that there would be some positive aspects to having a Dislike button, but I still think they would be outweighed by the negatives. It’s already bad enough for newbies signing up without yet another way to drive people away.

I too thought that this would be an ideal issue to put to a poll, but it’s a privately owned website and business, not a club with voting rights. Given the reason for this thread in the first place, and the all too predictable way it quickly developed, I’m not so sure I’d set too much store by the results.
Speaking as scientifically-trained people, what we perhaps should be suggesting is a trial ... and that would be an interesting thread in itself trying to work out how it could be done to gain any meaningful statistics :grin:

And you have the gall to complain about my use of the English language?
Stop complaining about every little thing, You really are a whinger arent you?

Did you not realise that I was trying to be poetic? You are such a whinge, I think that I will put you on Ignore.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Where has the like button gone?

I only have page number, reply, quote, nothing happens when I hover over the post.
See when you hover over the reply, quote bits? Just shimmy a little bit down, NOT THAT MUCH, and you'll see some bright new shiny buttons.

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
that new rating button is utterly stupid ,it will just encourage the site gang to bully as usual