Like/Dis-like or voting buttons

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Guns, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

There is the Like button, which is nice. But many posts on here I dis-agree with or don't like and short of posting it is hard to gauge how bone a post is to the collective ARRSE.

It may help reduce the flaming we see where personal insults become the norm if we had a dis-like button or even like they do in some Comments areas on newspapers a plus/minus voting systems.

Just a thought and await response.

• Like Like x 4
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  2. I disagree! It's a silly idea. All I need now is a dislike button to say so :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. I agree with Gun's proposal.

However, I would need a dislike button to disagree with PA's "dislike".

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wouldn't a "you're a ****" button be more widely used?

• Like Like x 3
  5. True. It would with most of your posts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. What this site really needs is a button which can express any sentiment the user would want.

What would happen is that there'd be a box at the bottom of the page you could type into, and then a button next to it (for the sake of argument, let's say that this button would be called "Post Quick Reply"). Hit the button and whatever you'd typed would go on the page.

• Like Like x 2
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

How about a "You post like Afghan Kandak" button?

8. You do realise that you actually de-value the "like" button don't you. Hence I try to post stuff you won't like. If I post enough you'll get "like button withdrawal syndrome" and hopefully die. Slowly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. How about a "I like boiled eggs" or "I like sheds" button? or a "your all *****" button? Amazingly-Enough-I-Dont-Give-A-Shit.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I’m sympathetic with your point, but, although I suspect I’m in the minority, I ultimately can’t agree. One of the reasons ARRSE is so successful is that it not only allows diverse, even hostile, opinions to be expressed, but actively encourages robust and open exchanges of viewpoints. A “dislike” button could discourage some posters, thereby not only reducing the traffic that the site needs, but also making some posters reluctant to express views and weakening the potential for interesting debate, even if interesting for all the “wrong” reasons. I’d rather ARRSE was a little chaotic at times than an echo chamber, or just the stomping ground of cliques and internet warriors. There are already too many posters here waiting to see which way a thread will go before daring to offer an opinion for fear of upsetting the big boys.

Naturally, this being ARRSE there will those who would actively engage in even more baiting and trolling just to drive up their “dislike” count, so exacerbating the problem. Sanctions are already available and have recently been increased in scope. It might be an idea to see if they improve things first?

Oh, and I don't care if people don't like this post. They can't vote it down (yet!) :eye:

• Like Like x 4
  11. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Here's a radical idea. If you don't like something, post a response explaining why and then the other poster can respond to you and you can respond to them and then, maybe, other people will join in and then there will be a debate and then the forums will be just like real internet discussion boards.

• Like Like x 3
  12. What are you dribbling about? Can you try to say that in plain English, please?

13. Basically he's saying you're a thick ****, and you make his shit itch.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I think he thinks that you are a cock.

15. Westpoint doesn't like this thread.