'Like' button?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Excognito, Mar 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There have been several occasions on which I have found a message sufficiently interesting/amusing/pertinent/whatever to want to respond with a smilie or some such but, OTOH, don't want to clutter up the thread with a pile of grinning/scowling icons, no matter how ego-boosting/soul-destroying they may be to the originator.

Is there some means by which we can express appreciation/outright hatred for an individual message (eg, a 'Like/Hate' button)?

(This message was specifically triggered by the 'come on if you think you're funny enough' thread, but it's a general request).
    • Like Like x 5
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so please excuse fat fingers and slips of the keyboard.
  3. Ambivalent.

Sent from a BFO desktop PC, at work.
  4. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

A Cnut button would probably get more use ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ---------------------
    ] **** [

Press away!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Like (10 letters) ;-)
  7. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I take it that the 'Rate this Thread' functionality doesn't achieve what you'd like:

(P.S I know that you don't have all of those menu options available!)

One of the things we've considered is integration with Facebook which would allow you to 'Like' a thread or post so that it appears on there as well. We've held off from doing this as don't think it would be that popular and raises possible security concerns. Any thoughts?
  8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I don't think Facebook are ready for some of the posts / threads that appear on here.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm with B_AND_T on this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Facebook - !!!!

personally I am not a great fan of Facebook. I was persuaded to start a profile on it and probably visit that once a month, more out of curiosity than anything else. I have a few 'friends' from Arrse on there and unless you set up your profile with the Arrse username then your PERSEC is right out of the window :(

However, so many companies are now starting to use Facebook that this should be looked at seriously to see how we can use to the best. I am still doubtful about PERSEC, OPSEC and also the possibility of hacking which Facebook may open up.

If ARRSE did not go down this route I would not lose any sleep, but then again same if you did.

Thing to remember is if username 'fucknuts' thinks "Oh, there is Facebook for ARRSE, let's link in" then he suddenly becomes Pte I M Dumb of 1st Bn Loamshiers to everyone, complete with dumb pics.
  11. I've just rated this thread as "excellent", if thats any use to anyone.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Prove it!!!!1 :)
  13. I think that arrse on facebook would be trouble.
  14. Sounds like a good idea, a couple of other forums similar to ARRSE do a "Thanks" option to posts
    Works well because it cuts down unnecessary posts applauding a particular post, it's a simple click and in regards to Facebook and PERSEC it's all cool :)

Attached Files: