Lightweight Trenching .....

After trying to explain a trenching vehicle we had the joy of operating in the 80's, basically it was a conveyor belt on a truck chassi. Can't remember the name of the bloody thing, can remember driving it, eventually getting it to bloody work. Can even remember what it looked like but for the life of me can't remember what it was called.

One of our lads ha to drive it from tidders to ripon so left two days before the rest of us ffs.
There was one outside the museum In Chatham has that gone?

The planty's used to draw lots to see who got to drive that bad boy in 3fd Sqn's support troop - guaranteed to deploy no further than the front gate before it blew all it's hoses and had to be towed ON to the area by the LAD - they ******* despised it.

I never saw it used to dig a hole.

We had one turn up on an exercise on Salisbury Plain in the mid-80s. It dug fairly impressively - but broke down about 2/3 of the way through the Company position... fortunately after our trench. :cool:
Yep, I was there then- probably the same one.

I'm amazed it turned up, let alone dug 2/3 of the trenches.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i remember seeing those , we demonstrated ketda a few time . Kit explosive trench digging aid . It blew the shape of a two man trench into loose soil then two sappers mit shovels dug the stuff out .

That's the bugger, only had it working twice in the time I was responsible for it, bloody thing.

YES YES YES ! The good auld LMD ,made a racket that would have woken the 3rd Russian Shock Army in the Kremlin , Rolls Royce petrol engine that glowed in the dark .If it was looked after and operated properly , it saved a lot of Inf having to get familiar with the shovel gs . Mine didn't have the "luxury" of a cab so in winter I was a familiar sight bombing down the M3 to SPTA in ma cooncil donkey jacket , goggles and hats wooly clamped tae ma heid with a pair of those heavy oil filled ear defs that we had at the time. Happy days indeed -sigh , sniff !!!

YES YES YES ! The good auld LMD ,made a racket that would have woken the 3rd Russian Shock Army in the Kremlin , Rolls Royce petrol engine that glowed in the dark .If it was looked after and operated properly , it saved a lot of Inf having to get familiar with the shovel gs . Mine didn't have the "luxury" of a cab so in winter I was a familiar sight bombing down the M3 to SPTA in ma cooncil donkey jacket , goggles and hats wooly clamped tae ma heid with a pair of those heavy oil filled ear defs that we had at the time. Happy days indeed -sigh , sniff !!!
when was this.....1927?

Never heard of or saw it! Only ever dug trenches with a mk1 shovel.

Only good thing was that we dug trenches once in a blue moon.

Actually, I do remember some guy (Geoff somthing or other) in 5 Squadron who drove this beast.
I also remember that it once, or twice, worked but it did spend a lot of time with REME.
Showing it off at the Staff College Demo was always a tricky shout, will it work, will it blow up??

when was this.....1927?
Right listen in ya shortfused wee bugger , if it wasn't for me and my brave LMD oppos , you would now be speaking Russian and driving a feckin' Lada or Moskovich and drinking vodka made from nettles !
Now here's a nice new 10/- note , run along to Arkrights corner shop and get me some of Mr Wearthers Originals and keep 6d for yourself !!!

1965! They would have been well clapped out by the time I got in. No wonder we had to rely on bloody shovels.