Lightweight "Jungle" Sleeping Bag - How Low Will It Go?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by foxs_marine, Nov 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How low will one of these bags be comfortable at with the liner and / or a US poncho liner?

I'm guessing about +5 - 0 would be ballpark?

Thanks,

F_M

2. In our experience it really is person dependant....

For me, I used one a week ago in a building and I was cold. Other people will be fine.

Generally... Jungle bag is ok for summer in UK. Other wise I'd go for something that offers a little more techical advantage i.e. mummy shaped etc. (shameless pug, we are doing an "Arrse Offer" on the modular U.S. system at the mo, dirt cheap)

3. foxs, that's what I had on the Pentlands last week, poncho liner and a snugpack thermal liner, was comfortable but could have been warmer, this was all inside a bivvi bag as well, I would have preffered my softie bag though.

4. also a trend for people to use the issue "bivy suit" with jungle bag.... (not saying its a good idea)

I guess it also depends on your role?

5. In a rush once i accidently grabbed my Jungle Bag instead of my Softie 9 and spent the next week gibbering my balls off, even with warm kit and two bivvy bags! If you don't mind being a bit cold then by all means try it, but i'd fork out for a Softie 9 Hawk or similiar if you thinks it's gonna get a bit chilly.

6. I've got the big "Arctic" type bouncing bomb for winter & a "Jungle" bag for summer / autumn & indoor use (crashing at friends' places etc). I really wondered about that twilight zone where the big one's still a bit big but the little one may be losing its effectiveness a bit.

Of course as others have said, each person reacts differently.

7. TBH I'd invest in one bag that does it all but with a reduced pack size...

8. Any tips on carrying the issue bouncing bomb in an issue Bergan ? and still have room for kit in the Bergan ?

9. Yes, don't have it in the stuff sack, it should really go inside the bivvy bag then it can be 'moulded' to fit the bergan.

10. Shove it in the bivi bag shove it at bottom of Bergen everything else on top should squash it down enough.If everything else is in a dry bag not really an admin nightmare.
    Jungle bag not really much use outside of summer if you feel the cold.Though saw someone happily snoring away in one in december in hankley common though he does like his pies :).

11. i used one of them on an ex at garelochead in april, had a bivi bag and a poncho liner too. still too bloody cold. sure it saved a bit of space in my bergan but i wish i had taken my old doss bag instead. think its just suited for summer use really.

12. Ive used lightweight dossbag and bivvibag in brecon last month, I was fine but would have been happier with the bomb.

13. The good old layer principle also works well with doss bags.

There used to be, back in the Stone Age, an issue inner sleeping bag (arctic only I think) with a hood made out of KF shirt type material, which made things really comfy. Wish I'd kept mine.

In da jungle, I always use a cotton liner bag with hood, as well as a jungle bag - if only to soak up the sweat to stop it from making the bag cold later on. I also carried a really light-weight pure wool pully as part of my dry night kit.

On one very cold high-altitude mountaineering exped, I found a flannette hooded sack inner really good too. So I've got a selection of inner bags - for all seasons. They don't weight very much, and have multiple uses.

14. You may get a lot of stick for it - I certainly did - but on H9 I took a small hot water bottle. Nice little heat source kept me toasty warm all night while all around me shivered.

15. MY greatest discovery - the Army Mountaineering Soc boss Ivor Hellberg told me about it - was the sleeping-bag pee bottle - at least 2 litres with (of course) an enormously wide mouth. No more getting up in the middle of the night freezing, and a nice warm bottle for at least an hour to keep the feet warm. Just don't get it mixed up with the other water bottles.

• Like Like x 2