Lights Out Initiative

Dusty362

Old-Salt
The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime,

These are the words spoken by the foreign secretary of the time on the 4 August 1914.

LIGHTS OUT is an initiative encouraging everyone to turn off their lights between 10pm and 11pm on August 4th 2014 – leaving only a single light or candle for this symbolic act of reflection and hope. In BF(G) we will be doing this local time. You can do this in your own quarters or see if there is a local event in your area. The important thing is that we commemorate and remember the sacrifices made by so many.

I have an electronic pack for those that wish to organise their own vigil.

The Royal British Legion Paderborn Branch will be open on this evening for those that wish to join us.

llech

LE
Bit gay, can't we dust off an old Vickers and chop up a few Jerries for old time sake?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I've got no chance with my kids, I'm always turning lights off and they go back on even when no one is in the room, how do they do it?
I'll go down me shed and have an hours contemplation with a candle.

E

EScotia

From the title I thought the thread was introducing the annual MoD fuel saving measures a tad early.

Dusty362

Old-Salt
The Poppy Inn, Dempsey Barracks, Husarenstr, 33104 Paderborn Sennelager, will be open from 9 p.m. on 4 August 2014. The lights will go out at 10 p.m. local time.

There will also be a vigil in the Roman Catholic Church, Normandy Barracks beginning at 11 p.m.

For those in other stations you can check with your local GIO if there is a vigil being organised near you.

err why?

Isn't it all a bit like Grief whoring? You know, showing that your care more than everyone else with symbolic gestures?
Have we become incalculable of remembering without some huge gigantic song and dance to prove we care?

Lights out?

Daaa DAAAAAAAH

Da DAAAAAAAH

They don't write them like that any more.

Last edited:
err why?

Isn't it all a bit like Grief whoring? You know, showing that your care more than everyone else with symbolic gestures?
Have we become incalculable of remembering without some huge gigantic song and dance to prove we care?
Generally I'd be on your side but given the number of people who don't really know anything about the war [http://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/britishcouncil.uk2/files/remember-the-world-as-well-as-the-war-report.pdf] I think the 100th anniversary is a useful opportunity to raise awareness.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When I saw this my first instinct is to turn ON all lights to signify that although Britain went to war in 1914, we got through it and the lights went back on. (For a few years)

Generally I'd be on your side but given the number of people who don't really know anything about the war [http://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/britishcouncil.uk2/files/remember-the-world-as-well-as-the-war-report.pdf] I think the 100th anniversary is a useful opportunity to raise awareness.
Switching a light off won't solve that. The issue is people just aren't interested in history, or rather just won't remember it or relate it to their lives. I spend an awful lot of time, and a little bit of money trying to show people the interesting and exiting bits of history. A great many of them then turn around and say" That was really interesting, thank you!" But it doesn't seem to go past that, only a tiny few of them admit the stuff I write has gotten them to look at the events surrounding what I write.

This idea however, just won't have an effect, plus I've got to ask, what end is it for? People already have Remembrance Sunday, this just smacks of people trying to do a one up to show they're remembering more than you! But in reality they'll be thinking about something else. Its getting to the point that things are just to distant in the historical record, you need to gab the modern populace by the scruff of the neck and rub their faces in it to make it effective, much like Saving Private Ryan did with D-day. Think about it, Prior to SPR you had the longest day, and that was about it. After SPR D-day is everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, If it works, Cracking! But I'll be very surprised if it does.

I have an electronic pack for those that wish to organise their own vigil....
It might take a bit of work, but I'll have a go at organising an event around London. I reckon that, with the help of social media, we could have a ring of motorcyclists on the M25, all dressed in black and all with their lights out, maybe carrying Zippos. Anyone up for this?

I'll be in Canada on the 4th....which isn't Europe. So, I'll have a pint in a well lit bar for you, if i remember, which I doubt. Good luck with the darkness and stuff.

Latest Threads