Light Cavalry Regiment for a Northern Irishman

Hi all. So basically I have an interest in joining the army and more specifically a light cav regiment of the RAC. I have looked into some of the different regiments but it seems that they all have reputations for being the cavalry regiment of the mainland countries of the UK, which is not surprising given the somewhat... "unique" history between Ireland as a whole and Great Britain.

Now, I have absolutely no problem going ANYWHERE in the UK to join a desired regiment, what I was more concerned about is how seriously these reputations of, for example, being "England's Northern Cavalry" are taken. Would they not take me or have reservations about taking me due to the fact that I am basically an Irishman? Am I safer looking into the infantry side of things and considering joining the Royal Irish if I want to join the British Army? Thanks for any time taken to reply in advance, and if I have done or said anything silly in this post and what I am saying is all absolute crap I apologise, I'm new to the forums and I'm simply your average naive 6th form student with a million and one ideas about what my future could hold. That's why I came here to get the advice and information from individuals who are more mature than myself and have actual experience in regards to my question. Again, thanks in advance!

Apologies, I had deleted my post once I realised that you were looking more on the full time side, SNIY though is a Reserve Regiment partly based in NI. But there are quite a few Regiments with Irish heritage suitable within the cavalry family and wider as well, RDG, QRH etc

Not a problem, thanks for taking the time to reply. However hypothetically, let's say I decided to join the Light Dragoons, one of the regiments which I referenced in my OP, would there be any scepticism in interviews etc. over the fact that I was looking to join a regiment that had a reputation of taking people from the North East of England? What I'm really trying to get at, is whether or not the regiments themselves make a point of recruiting from these areas or if it just happens to be that it is people from these areas that decide to join those regiments. I feel like I'm not being as clear as I can be but hopefully you get what I'm trying to ask.

elovabloke

ADC
These days you might find that you will join the Regiment where there is a need rather than where you want to go once you finish training.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not a problem, thanks for taking the time to reply. However hypothetically, let's say I decided to join the Light Dragoons, one of the regiments which I referenced in my OP, would there be any scepticism in interviews etc. over the fact that I was looking to join a regiment that had a reputation of taking people from the North East of England? What I'm really trying to get at, is whether or not the regiments themselves make a point of recruiting from these areas or if it just happens to be that it is people from these areas that decide to join those regiments. I feel like I'm not being as clear as I can be but hopefully you get what I'm trying to ask.
England's Northern Cavalry is something of a misnomer since the last round of cuts. With only three armoured, three recce and three light regiments, and the other two light regiments being Welsh (QDG) and Scots DG, Light Dragoons these days are England's Light Cavalry, and I've seen the term applied.

As a former 15/19H and therefore a member of the Light Dragoons Association, I can tell you unequivocally, that LD are the best regiment in the army, FACT. And your not being from the north east is, as stated by the previous poster, an irrelevance.

These days you might find that you will join the Regiment where there is a need rather than where you want to go once you finish training.
I don't have any problem really with being sent where I'm needed, to be honest whatever I do next in life as long as it involves a challenging but rewarding career in the armed forces and gets me away from home I'm happy enough. Would my personal preference even be taken into account though?

England's Northern Cavalry is something of a misnomer since the last round of cuts. With only three armoured, three recce and three light regiments, and the other two light regiments being Welsh (QDG) and Scots DG, Light Dragoons these days are England's Light Cavalry, and I've seen the term applied.

As a former 15/19H and therefore a member of the Light Dragoons Association, I can tell you unequivocally, that LD are the best regiment in the army, FACT. And your not being from the north east is, as stated by the previous poster, an irrelevance.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

Ok, on a related note will having a driving licence have any effect on the training process? If I do end up applying to RAC I will almost definitely have passed my test before then.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If you join the RAC as a trooper then you will be able to express a preference of unit, but will be sent according to the needs of the army (unless you join HCR). If you join as an officer then you will need to apply to your chosen Regiment and be accepted by a board.

As stated by others, most RAC regiments are such a mix nowadays that I wouldn't worry too much about identity. There is an Irish theme to RDG and QRH, but it's not an overwhelming identity.

Do recruits even get a say in Regiment preference these days? Thought it was down to manning and whoever needed the bods.
Yes. They have a preference list.

How much attention is paid, I don't know, but it used to be taken seriously....