Lifing Tackle

Discussion in 'REME' started by lacrabat, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The latest AESP is great in that it details exactly what is required for each piece of equipment to be examined correctly. However it leaves me with a shitload of old Land Rover screw jacks that fail because there's no year of manufacture on them and all me tow strops ( some brand new ) fail because they don't have a colour coded label on them.

2. So bin them and order the correct ones. Simple really :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. An expensive option in these days of belt tightening, and more work doing a new stores reject EFR when the new tow strops inevitably turn up still lacking the labels.
    It'd work for the Land Rover jacks though....... :D

4. But if you don't do the EFR, the DLO (or whatever they callit now) chaps won't know there's a problem...

The other option would be to sell the strops on EBay as genuine SAS issue recovery strops and then send the money to DLO in a plain brown envelope...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. They'll never sell if there advertised like that, they have to be genuine SAS,SBS RM as used on OpTelic, Herrick. :wink:

6. I was kinda hoping they might read this thread.......... :D

7. If the jacks you refer to are the vehicle CES recovery only bottle jacks, as long as they're only used for that, you don't have to include them in the ADLEE /LOLER cludge. This is due to them being inspected with the vehicle on MEI (AFG 932 (B)). However, if they aren't CES items solely used for recovery of the parent vehicle, tough titty. Chop 'em up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. You are correct in that the jack is examined as part of the parent vehicles MEI and no other certification is required. However the new AESP states exactly what markings are still required to be on each particular piece equipment, in the case of vehicle CES jacks it's the manufacturer, SWL, date of manufacture, CE mark (post 1995) and unique serial no (vehicle VRN). None of my units Landrover screw jacks have a year of manufacture on them.
    Other problems are towstrops without the colour coded label and some axle stands without any manufacturers details.
    I'm loathe to write off perfectly good kit if I can avoid it, not only because of the cost involved but also but also because of the inevitable "dues out" when the rest of the field army get their demands in.

9. don't then send them to a test centre ie REME Bn for an initial thorough examination then you/they can stamp the date of test as also the date of manufacture,as in accordance with LOLER 98 if you are in Germany phone the lifting cell at Bielefeld, spk to the ex Recy Mech who runs it he will give you all the correct information. hope this helps

10. Cheers for that, I'll look into going down this route. Although with the probability of having to involve DSG it may still be cheaper to write them off and redemand...... :D

11. The correct term your looking for regarding vehicle CES jacks is "For the sole purpose of wheel changing or snow chain fitting" then no birth certs are required nor are they required to be reported on using the LE (A) 2029 form and yes your correct they are inspected annually on an MEI. They are alo required to be marked up as Lacrabat stated.

As regards axle stands if you phone the manufacturer and quote the serial numbers they may have an archive with the birth cert you require and most manufacturers will happily fax you a copy. This also works with any item of lifting equipment that you may not have the birth cert for.

Ultimately if you can't get the birth cert for an item of lifting equipment then it would be advisable to quarantine it and demand a new one.

12. Quite right. There is a massive misconception that just because an item of kit doesn't have a birth cert or some form of documentation it should be binned and a new one demanded. Those of us who are qualified (ADLEE) are able to produce a "birth cert" after a thorough examination.

13. So are you right in saying you can produce a Birth Cert for say, a CV12 power pack lifting beam or AS90 Gun pull back kit complete?

14. Yes providing you are familiar with the type of item being inspected. Just because an item of lifting equipment doesn't have a piece of paper saying when it was made etc, doesn't make it unsafe to use. I'm not going on what the new AESP says as I haven't had time to digest it fully yet - I'm going on what I was taught on the examiners course. If you are unsure about a piece of kit of course it would be sensible to at least quarantine it initially, but far too much kit is being thrown away.

15. I have to disagree slightly, If I was to come across an item of lifting equipment that I have no history of whatsoever then I wouldn't be inclined to give it a thorough examination then issue a Birth cert, I would be inclined to quarantine it then demand a new one, which I would say is the sensible option given that you don't know it's history, however as I stated earlier with new equipment thats been demanded and arrives without documentation then it's a simple phone call to the manufacturer with the serial number and they would happily fax a copy of the original cert.

I do agree that too much kit is binned and new kit demanded however if you were to turn up at new unit and take over responsibility for the lifting equipment and certs were missing for lifting equipment that is obviously quite old then as I said you wouldn't know it's history so would be better off demanding new, especially were appliances are concerned. In the current climate of elf and safety I think you can't be too careful.

Just my opinion.