Lifesaver water filtration system

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cornercafe, Jan 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone used the Lifesaver water filter. I know there was a UOR for a load to be sent to Afghanistan. I was just wondering if they are actually any good in the field/squaddie proof etc.
  2. Thats not the one I had in mind.

This is the one

The Lifesaver Bottle

I'm not sure which varient was ordered for Afghanistan but I am interested in the Lifesaver rather than anything else because it filters out everything including viruses. I'm pretty sure there are no other systems that can do this.

I know the filter etc works but I wanted some feedback from a more robust environment. Yhey might have been such a pain in the arse to use that they were binned.

Anyone used one sandyside?
  3. I've used numerous types in far worse environments than the sandpit. I still favour the MSR MiniWorks, a traditional ceramic filter unit. It's sufficient to clean all water for 8 men in a hot/arduous environment, any more men than that, and you'll want another. It takes about a minute to pump a litre. It can be serviced yourself between deployments, and can be stripped down anytime and parts replaced (providing you take a repair kit). Mine has taken a lot of abuse and still goes strong. Just to be on the safe side, I replace the ceramic filter more often than recommended (eg, before each deployment). Always use with Nalgene bottles as they screw right on.

Always take a back up. I now use a SteriPEN, which uses an old technology recently made portable: UV light. I expect these to really take off in the future, and may even become personal issue where needed. This cleans at about the same rate as the above, but watch the battery - I always take a solar recharger.

Neither will remove chemical contamination. The MSR will remove anything above 0.2 microns. The SteriPEN claims to remove pretty much anything and everything (although when you use it you become paranoid you're not doing it properly).

I have used some of the stuff issued to the SF, and its not very good. Its intended to only be used in emergencies. I've not used the system you've provided a link to.

Anyway, what's wrong with a Millbank bag?

MSR: MSR® MiniWorks™ EX Microfilter.

SteriPEN: Outdoor Water Purifier Portable Water Purifier- Adventurer Opti SteriPEN
  4. Thanks for the comments.

The reason I'm so keen on the Lifesaver is that it is the only system I can find which filters out viruses. I'm thinking back to going through Shaiba Log base when everybody (me included) got some sort of v and d illness. Maybe not completely down to the water but I'm sure that was a significant factor.

I don't know if you you are being serious about the Millbank bag. You still need to kill bacteria with chemicals, which means you get the taste and a nice cocktail of dead or dormant pathogens/bacteria.

Maybe the batch that were sent to Afghanistan didn't get issued out. As far as I know they might still be in an ISO somewhere.
  5. Agree with scavenger, although the ceramic filter I used was really not that portable and filtration took too long, but the steripen is fantastic. There's an electric shock version that's cheaper I believe.
  6. No, not being serious about the Millbank bag! But you should have something to filter the water in case its needed before using a ceramic filter or UV light.

What viruses are you expecting? Most water related illness is caused by bacteria, parasites or protozoa, which a ceramic filter will deal with. The SteriPEN will kill pretty much everything, including viruses. The only viruses of any real risk are Hep A and Polio - ever heard of anyone getting them?!!
  7. The Lifesaver is good for what it is being used for. It, like many (most) other portable systems, won't filter out dissolved chemicals. However, it will take out most everything else as described - but it isn't magic and isn't really any better or worse than others that filter down to the same micron (which filter out the same size viruses as Lifesaver).
    It is being used, with the risk of dissolved chemicals, largely to reduce the burden on the dismounted soldier. It reduces the requirement to carry as much water when on patrol. Unlike many other rival systems, you don't sit and pump to get filtered water but collect and filter as you use it - better to keep moving in this situation. However, if I had the choice, I'd not carry unfiltered water then filter as I consumed it. They are robust and do the job they were bought for.

UV isn't magic either. UV is only effective when coupled with very good filtration, as the bugs you are trying to kill with UV can 'hide behind' particulates if they aren't filtered out, negating the UV effect. It is always 'as well as' rather than 'instead of'.
  8. You have no choice other than to force water through very small holes, so that needs energy. Generating energy from the moving human form isn't easy and doesn't produce much at all, so probably not worth the burden of carrying extra weight to make that process work. It will always be a compromise and a proper understanding of the actual need. Your 'Ideas' aren't really viable.