Lifelong learning - kids reading

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by BoomShackerLacker, Jul 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This amazing woman in this article here reminded me of the requirement for children to read extensively in order to arrive at future qualifications, civvy or mil, with with some confidence in language skills. (25k books = more than a book a day, hmmm?).

A friend of my daughter's, when I asked had she heard of Huckleberry Finn, said 'I don't do books I do screens', as if it was a noble alternative.

One theory is that boys' under-achievement is due to decreasing enjoyment of reading. Some stats are catastrophic:

If you've got ideas that encourage boys' reading do share here.

(I realise this thread has a focus but 'lifelong learning' is critical to future.)
  2. The best way to encourage boys to read is by spending reading time with them. We spend time with our grandson, who is 7, reading books with him. He is encouraged to read at every opportunity and has the reading age of a 10 year old. Bedtime always involves a story, which he reads to us and we help him out where needs be. The only problem is finding books that are suitable for his reading age but that a 7 year old can still enjoy.

IMHO time spent reading with a child is time well invested.

Apologies if that sounds pompous, but its the best way I could think of putting it
  3. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

The best thing bt being a mum to a 3.5yold is that we get to snuggle down on the sofa each night and read a book, discuss the story - even 3 little pigs and then pick the next book for the next day.

Cant wait to revisit some of my childhood classics with him ;o)
  4. Not pompous at all; I'll happily go further and say that the future of our nation's health rests on 'reading to boys'.

Boys are prone to the 'fire staring' effect of the tinterwebnet and are reading snippets of information and not whole sections thus losing context, meaning and understanding; this approach is now transferring to their book reading or they're not reading at all. This is fairly catastrophic as their intellectual development rests on grasping 'ideas'.

My 16 y-o has to read whether he likes it or not; call me uncreative but once he starts he doesn't stop. Misdemeanours are rewarded by computer bans.
  5. I have seen several soldiers who sought help with their reading skills so they could read with their children. Some were undiagnosed dyslexics, some just needed help with skills either forgotten or not gained in the past. Soldiers of any rank can seek help from their AEC, there is a civvy Basic Skills Tutor if they don't want to talk to a uniform and whoever they see the reason they are at the Ed Centre is considered personal and is not shared with anyone else.
  6. I've made a sort of bargain with my kids on the TV/reading debate. If there's a film coming out that they want to watch which originates from a book, then they have to read the book before they watch the film. Not a problem for my 9 year old, a bit more problematic for the 7 year old. I don't think anyone will be surprised, either, that they always think the book is better.

7. Can't think of a film that yet has successfully replicated or exceeded a book's presentation of its ideas.

These are good resources:'s

One of the hot topics in children's bookdom has been putting age guidance on the book itself - started this year. Something to boost confidence in suitability of a particularly title:

8. Not forgetting the Army Learning Centres which are separate to the AEC and are by and large civvy run so it's 'rank free'. Loads and loads of basic skills help there and there's a massive push on reading with your children and in turn improving your own skills at the minute.