Life Insurance for an Old Fart?

#1
Hi Folks,

I'm off to somewhere hot and sandy in August, and Dragon Ops is insisting that I sort out some life insurance just in case.

The problem is, I'm 58, and that makes it difficult to get cover. The SLI scheme only applies to persons under the age of 55 at the start of the cover, so I just wondered if anyone else had managed to solve this problem?
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#2
4th_of_foot said:
Hi Folks,

I'm off to somewhere hot and sandy in August, and Dragon Ops is insisting that I sort out some life insurance just in case.

The problem is, I'm 58, and that makes it difficult to get cover. The SLI scheme only applies to persons under the age of 55 at the start of the cover, so I just wondered if anyone else had managed to solve this problem?
So - lets get things straight in my mind. You are being deployed and the military have not got a scheme in place which gives cover to over 55, sound like age descrimination to me mate.
 
#4
THB group do war and terrorism risk and life insurance that covers all sorts of work in parts of the world that the FCO and commonsense advise against
www.thbgroup.com
 
#5
58? F**k me defence is broke.

msr
 
#6
Thanks guys.

Yes it's a crazy situation that I can be mobilised but not insured :(

Re-mortgaging isn't really an option for us at present, but I have Emailed THB to see if they can help.

Yes MSR, age 58, and did my PFT three weeks ago, under 10 minutes for the run, 50 press ups, 76 sit ups :) :twisted:
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#7
Great effort mate, but on a serious note surely if the MOD are deploying you at that age they should be the ones helping to sort this crazy situation out.
 
#8
4th_of_foot said:
Thanks guys.

Yes it's a crazy situation that I can be mobilised but not insured :(

Re-mortgaging isn't really an option for us at present, but I have Emailed THB to see if they can help.

Yes MSR, age 58, and did my PFT three weeks ago, under 10 minutes for the run, 50 press ups, 76 sit ups :) :twisted:
Bloody Hell! I'm younger than you and can equal your SU and PU but... under 10 minutes for the run? I'm nowhere near that! Well done!

No suggestion for the insurance, though, but I am on Pax (now Pax plus) and have been almost since it started.

Litotes
 
#9
elovabloke said:
Great effort mate, but on a serious note surely if the MOD are deploying you at that age they should be the ones helping to sort this crazy situation out.
Which MOD do you work for?
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#11
msr said:
elovabloke said:
Great effort mate, but on a serious note surely if the MOD are deploying you at that age they should be the ones helping to sort this crazy situation out.
Which MOD do you work for?
Surely it was that caring sharing MOD that loves us all.
 
#12
Sorry guys, got interrrupted mid-post, so missed your replies.

Thanks for the comments Litotes, only just under 10 minutes, and it doesn't get any easier !

As I said, I'm trying PAX at the mo, so we'll see.

I'm with RauxAF MSR. Just sneaked in under the "age under 56 with previous military experience" rule, and work for a Tri-Service unit (run by the Army).
 
#13
RPAX gave us a talk and sounded ok - their tel no is 020 8662 8141
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#16
BiscuitsAB said:
good drills just dont have a heart attack you old knacker :wink: as its personal accident cover (pax) see.
Jogging around at speeds like that he deserves everything he gets :lol:
 
#18
I'm forever getting junk mail from these guys (with pictures of Parky and June Whitfield) through my letter box:

http://www.sunlifedirect.co.uk/

.... though it doesn't look as though the "over 50" plan gives proper cover until 2 years' premiums have been paid. It seems to be designed for those who are lingering in some care-home to leave something for their loved ones ...... and not geared for those who might be in any risk.
 
#19
4th of Foot was the only one on my intake at Halton that actually did any voluntary phys - which consisted of haring about in the dark through the woods every evening, often while it snowed, whilst the rest of the course monged it in the accom or went to the pub (me included).

Don't forget to put the cost of extra premiums in with your "no financial disadvantage" claim or whatever it's called. Well, you can always try.

There's not many of us left in, BTW, let alone actually getting out there. I believe I'll be off with the dreaded II Sqn from September. I'm down for the lobotomy in August.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads