Life Insurance for an Old Fart?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by 4th_of_foot, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Folks,

I'm off to somewhere hot and sandy in August, and Dragon Ops is insisting that I sort out some life insurance just in case.

The problem is, I'm 58, and that makes it difficult to get cover. The SLI scheme only applies to persons under the age of 55 at the start of the cover, so I just wondered if anyone else had managed to solve this problem?
  2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

So - lets get things straight in my mind. You are being deployed and the military have not got a scheme in place which gives cover to over 55, sound like age descrimination to me mate.
  3. THB group do war and terrorism risk and life insurance that covers all sorts of work in parts of the world that the FCO and commonsense advise against
  4. msr

msr LE

58? F**k me defence is broke.

5. Thanks guys.

Yes it's a crazy situation that I can be mobilised but not insured :(

Re-mortgaging isn't really an option for us at present, but I have Emailed THB to see if they can help.

Yes MSR, age 58, and did my PFT three weeks ago, under 10 minutes for the run, 50 press ups, 76 sit ups :) :twisted:
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Great effort mate, but on a serious note surely if the MOD are deploying you at that age they should be the ones helping to sort this crazy situation out.
  7. Bloody Hell! I'm younger than you and can equal your SU and PU but... under 10 minutes for the run? I'm nowhere near that! Well done!

No suggestion for the insurance, though, but I am on Pax (now Pax plus) and have been almost since it started.

8. msr

msr LE

Which MOD do you work for?
  9. Yes Mate, you'd have thought so eh?

But so far, no luck. I'm about to try PAX.
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Surely it was that caring sharing MOD that loves us all.
  11. Sorry guys, got interrrupted mid-post, so missed your replies.

Thanks for the comments Litotes, only just under 10 minutes, and it doesn't get any easier !

As I said, I'm trying PAX at the mo, so we'll see.

I'm with RauxAF MSR. Just sneaked in under the "age under 56 with previous military experience" rule, and work for a Tri-Service unit (run by the Army).
  12. RPAX gave us a talk and sounded ok - their tel no is 020 8662 8141
  13. Thanks Poppy, just got a response from RPAX, and it looks like they'll take me on after all.
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

good drills just dont have a heart attack you old knacker :wink: as its personal accident cover (pax) see.