LIFE IN THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION

NEVER TOO OLD
This is my first time on the pages but I know that some of you have been reading my onlie book about my life leading up to, joing-up, and then serving with the 2nd R.E.P. for 11 years.
I just wanted to give an honest account of how I found life in the Legion. Most of what you read is from those who for some reason or other couldn't hack it and have to blame the Legion for their failings. True it's not for everyone, nor am I saying that it's the best military force in the world, but it's up there with them.
I hope that some have enjoyed what I have written, and for any of you who would like to you can find it at www.troon-promotions.com/ntd.htm
There are lots of photographs as well that you won't normally come accross.
Any army is only as good as you make it, but you have to try it first to earn the right to codemn it. I was 38 when I joined up so there is hope for all you young guys yet.
:D

A very interesting and well told story. Nice to hear it told from the point of view of someone who didn't desert.

Read it last year, a superb bit of writing, intelligent and very illuminating. I believe there were plans to put an expanded version into print at some point, any news on this? :D

slick said:
Read it last year, a superb bit of writing, intelligent and very illuminating. I believe there were plans to put an expanded version into print at some point, any news on this? :D
The book is completed and has gone to the legal advisers of my printers. I slag off a few politicians in it by name and I know what thier reaction will be.
:twisted:

I'm on page 23 and I have to say that it's a damned good read. Okay there are errors, but the proof reading process will sort those out before it goes into print.

What comes across already is a tale of honesty from someone who is mature enough to look facts square in the face. I look forward to reading the rest.

The book is completed and has gone to the legal advisers of my printers. I slag off a few politicians in it by name and I know what thier reaction will be
Good news, can you keep us informed of progress please :D

Thanks for pointing out your site - I would never have seen it otherwise. I have started reading it and it reads very well. It reminds me of when I met a Recce Troop from 2 Rep (I think) in Kiseljak, Bosnia back in 95(AML 10 & VABs). They had been up on Igman and were pulled back for some rest. A strange bunch compared to the Brits but they fitted in well. They might have put a guard on their own tents to deter anyone thinking of legging it but the Troop OC didn't mind them having a beer with us in the Royal Engineers bar.

THE_OLD_ONE said:
NEVER TOO OLD
This is my first time on the pages but I know that some of you have been reading my onlie book about my life leading up to, joing-up, and then serving with the 2nd R.E.P. for 11 years.
I just wanted to give an honest account of how I found life in the Legion. Most of what you read is from those who for some reason or other couldn't hack it and have to blame the Legion for their failings. True it's not for everyone, nor am I saying that it's the best military force in the world, but it's up there with them.
I hope that some have enjoyed what I have written, and for any of you who would like to you can find it at www.troon-promotions.com/ntd.htm
There are lots of photographs as well that you won't normally come accross.
Any army is only as good as you make it, but you have to try it first to earn the right to codemn it. I was 38 when I joined up so there is hope for all you young guys yet.
:D
Popping in to post the infantry forum to let you know what a great read it was. Thanks for sharing it.

From page 153

"The most moving sight was that of Legionnaire Novokouski standing to attention, in full dress uniform, on his crutches, throughout the ceremony, despite having lost a leg just six months before. He refused to use the seat which had been provided for him.

In honour of his sacrifice and courage, he was given a post at the French Army Headquarters in Paris. He was given French citizenship, and his family were brought from Poland to live with him in a flat provided by the government. I wonder what would have happened to him if it had been this country."

Ignored perhaps?

Quack

Thanks for this Old One.I will read it with much interest.A friend of mine served for six years,got shot in the lebanon,but totally loved every minute.
Hope you are still having an interesting life!