Life in 289 troop?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by NeoMerc, Aug 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone. I'm about to apply to join the TA and would like some information from those who're already serving. I know the best person to speak to is my recruit officer but the way I see it, it can never hurt to have more than one perspective on the matter.

In the 289 Para (based in Romford), what can a person expect to be doing throughout the normal course of the year?

I am joining the TA for now due to family issues, if things improve, I may apply to transfer over to regs after a year or so (and no, I am not scared hard work or of the hard training at all 'cos if I am fully aware that if I cut corners now, it will probably come back n bite me in the ass later on and I might return from active duty in a body bag).

Obviously the info leaflet seems pretty cool n P company looks shit hard but hey, everyone that's got into the troop has done it so obviously it's down to me and how hard I work for it.

What I want to know is, I just saw another post about someone going to India on some jungle op and he wanted to know what kinda kit to take. So in the TA, if I get in, what kind of trips can I look forward to? I'm relishing the chance to go to Iraq or Afghanistan after my training but other than those two locations, what else can a TA bloke from 289 do to improve his credentials and experience?

Would be good to hear from some of you who have done these things.

Thank you.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well you won't be going to Iraq anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1