Life Expectancy

I think the problem with Life Expectancy is that it is an average. Due to the life choices of the middle aged and younger people who are now pushing up daisies they have altered the average. It is not that we are not living longer it is that higher numbers are dying in middle age.

Most significant comment on the ONS data by the ONS, 'last year's data was impacted by the bad winter and high number of serious 'flu cases'. That said nothing can continue increasing for ever.

The UK does not increase pensions annually for those living in countries that don't have a reciprocal agreement. Personally I have no problem with that as the annual increases are for inflation in the UK, not inflation in another country.
They should apply worldwide, given NI contributions were compulsory throughout the working lives of the entire workforce including the years many served in HMF.

Last edited:
They should apply worldwide, given NI contributions were compulsory throughout the working lives of the entire workforce including the years many served in HMF.
Completely and utterly disagree, I think the UK government(s) have been very fair on this, shame it hasn't been reciprocated.

You have also been informed on the thread that you linked to that current pensions are paid out of government funds via NI contributions from todays working public. The pension you get today is based on the amount you paid in over your working life, for the benefit of others, not yourself otherwise a tremendous amount of people throughout the UK would be living in abject poverty instead of just being short of money.

Given my recent healths scare(s) my life expectancy has decreased, therefore my AFPS 75 pension payment should increase.

I think that most unlikely!

Completely and utterly disagree, I think the UK government(s) have been very fair on this, shame it hasn't been reciprocated.

You have also been informed on the thread that you linked to that current pensions are paid out of government funds via NI contributions from todays working public. The pension you get today is based on the amount you paid in over your working life, for the benefit of others, not yourself otherwise a tremendous amount of people throughout the UK would be living in abject poverty instead of just being short of money.
I'd hardly call this fair & with the numbers of veterans & their families caught up in it i'm surprised there isn't any official lobbying from within the ex service community or Veterans Agency/support groups.

Petition unterschreiben

http://pensionjustice.org/

Last edited:
I'd hardly call this fair & with the numbers of veterans & their families caught up in it i'm surprised there isn't any official lobbying from within the ex service community or Veterans Agency/support groups.

Petition unterschreiben

http://pensionjustice.org/
Well I do think it's fair, very fair in fact and the reason there's no official lobbying is because others probably believe it to be so too. It's worth reading the attached file for the reasons for this and clarification of a number of related issues. It's also worth noting that this has been tested in court fairly recently too with the result going in the governments favour, so really they're not going to change their mind are they?

I'll declare an interest here, we are thinking of re-locating to Cyprus, although we may have left it too late, and one of the reasons is because of the reciprocal agreement in place. Something we looked into at the start of our considerations.

Attachments

Well I do think it's fair, very fair in fact and the reason there's no official lobbying is because others probably believe it to be so too. It's worth reading the attached file for the reasons for this and clarification of a number of related issues. It's also worth noting that this has been tested in court fairly recently too with the result going in the governments favour, so really they're not going to change their mind are they?

I'll declare an interest here, we are thinking of re-locating to Cyprus, although we may have left it too late, and one of the reasons is because of the reciprocal agreement in place. Something we looked into at the start of our considerations.
The way Brexit is going it's possible that Brits currently living in the EU will join the numbers that are currently frozen or that EVERYONE will fall under the same umbrella and receive the upgrades when HMG concede that they can no longer hide under that 'no new agreements since 1981' White Rabbit that worked so well re Carson.

I too have an interest but am years away from state pension age just yet.

The way Brexit is going it's possible that Brits currently living in the EU will join the numbers that are currently frozen or that EVERYONE will fall under the same umbrella and receive the upgrades when HMG concede that they can no longer hide under that 'no new agreements since 1981' White Rabbit that worked so well re Carson.

I too have an interest but am years away from state pension age just yet.
Brexit is unlikely to affect this at all, a future UK will still be able to negotiate worldwide inc the EU over reciprocal arrangements as they require renewing, arrangements that are already in place will not be affected until they are due renewal, if then.

The UK and Cyprus for instance have recently renewed their double taxation agreement. With Cyprus already in the EU, as are we currently, if there was going to be a future problem the EU would most certainly have flagged it up!

Cyprus: tax treaties

Which part of my reply wasn't factually correct and why get personal?
Apply safety catch and dress back to #4.
+
Apologies if you think I was being personal, that wasn't my intention. I was attempting to highlight the fact that despite being shown the governments position, their avowed intent to continue in the same manner, the reasons why the government took the decision and maintained it and the decision in court that vindicated the governments position, you continue in your pursuit of garnering support hoping the government will change their minds.

Continue firing and press foward.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1
Bladesman The NAAFI Bar 98
E The NAAFI Bar 42