Life Expectancy

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by medman82, May 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know what the life expectancy is for a 22 year leaver?? Cos I feel like crap. Am I dying or just under the weather?
  2. It is better than serving 37 years - these statistics ARE looked at by the MoD - why not ask under the FOI Act to the Surgeon General. 8)

As a guide - the longer you serve the less chance you have of living too full retirement. :twisted:
  3. Fifteen years life expectancy after 22 years hard living!!
    No idea were I got the figure from but I seems to be the number that comes up frequently

B*llocks to the pension! most of you ain't gonna be around to pick it up.
    Please feel free to correct me at any time

toodle pip
    The Gimp
  4. Oddly enough Gimp, I think you might be right about the pension!! rumour has it that you could soon be able to take massive payoff and no pension, similarly, feel free to correct me.
  5. 7 months after 24 years service and still feeling okay so far.
  6. Three years after leaving, and in my early 40's, I nearly quit the scene after my years of heavy smoking and drinking had furred up an artery in the ticker to the 'very unhealthy' point, so much so that I've got considerably less of it working now. Much angst for a while. Still active 8 years later, mind, even if there's the occasional panicked trip to the nearest cardio department in the belief that WB's time's finally up. You (almost) get used to it - whoa!, there's an ectopic beat!

If you let it get you down you know you've lost your sense of humour.

Noli illegitimi carborundum.
  7. Don't know how many other peeps have heard this stat, but I have heard that the number of folks doing 22 years in the Army pegging it before they are 55 is approx 40% (F&*cking horrendous stat if accurate!).

If anyone can prove, or disprove this theory, please do so. Incidentally, one of my old trade training Sgts did his 22 and died at 50 about 2 months ago - pretty spooky! (But he knew jack sh1t about the president, so it can't be a conspiracy!)
  8. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Actually 40% of the people who leave the army after 22 years aged 40 REACH 55. The figure that peg it is then obviously 60%!
  9. As he walks out in front of a bus. :wink:
  10. 23 done. Now 72 and going well. Pass the chips in pot to me please
  11. I remember when I got out that they were reducing the lump sums paid out on retirement. Apparently stats showed that many retirees died not long into retirement and where the many had commuted (?) the majority of their pension this meant millions more were paid out than would have been necessary. I think there will be increased pressure to limit lump sums.
  12. As he walks out in front of a bus :wink:
  13. I remember receiving a lecture from some Pay & Pensions people. They said that the reason officer's pensions are so good is that, after retiring at 55, 70% do not get to see their 63rd Birthday! It seems that a lifetime of hard drinking, smoking and eating followed by a sudden lack of exercise on retirement are the major factors.
  14. Got out at 40 after doing the full 22, now 55 and I think I'm OK, any idea what the pains in the chest are?? :lol:
  15. Buses. When you need one they're never around. When you don't, two come along together.