Life changing?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Paul007, Feb 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This might be a bit deep but anyway. Would people in the TA say it was life changing (hopefully for the better)? Ive been thinking about it for a while but im not sure if its what im looking for. To be honest what appeals to me most is the social aspect as ive just moved to a new city and dont know many people.

Cant say i would be thrilled about going to Iraq but at this point in my life i really feel like the TA could be my best chance to be part of something. I suppose my question is has anyone else joined it for the social aspect, and where they glad they did.

Also what is the average age range of the TA? Im 21 and was thinking that i might enjoy it more if there were people close to my own age.

Thanks

2. Best thing to do is go on internet find out what job appeals to you. ie Signals Engineers, Infantry etc find out what is in your local area phone them up and go and have a look. If you don't like it then don't go back. Don't worry too much about being deployed at the moment it can't happen till you ave done your basic training and then your trade course. After this however you will more than likley be doing Mr Blair a favour and taking a nice trip somewhere sunny (no not Ibiza).
    as for social yeah some good pissups don't count on too much totty in the TA though they are in the minority (in my experiance)
    What area of uk are you in therre are some local websites an well as the Army one pm me if i can help I will

3. At my unit most are in their early 20's.(Unlike me) This year they have been skiing and are going again in a few weeks, and they are off to Germany for adventure training in the spring! Oh and we do Mil skills as well.

4. Im in Belfast so have the choice of 4 stations:

Combat
    IT Comms
    Logistics/TA Medical Services
    Officer

Think Combat would probably appeal to me most but thats just on first impressions.

5. I've worked with some of the IT/Comms guys/girls over there and they do know how to work and party.

6. go for inf, then listen in and work out what u want. Inf is fun but may not be the best long term but very good basic trg

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There are many different reasons why people join the TA. Your reason for considering it is as good as most. I think you will get what you are looking for - but I think you will get a lot more.

Now that you have thought about it you have to do it anyway,otherwise you will spend the rest of your life wondering if you should have done.

Will it be life changing? Yes if you become a soldier it will change your life. By the way I don't mean if you complete your TA (or regular) training, but if you become a soldier which needs a bit more than that.

8. Yes for those who stay (definitely for the better).

Glad to have you with us, whoever you decide to join.

9. I would say it does for the better .you make some good mates you
    have some experinces as a civilian you never would even if not deployed. you learn new skills go for it whats the worse that could happen
    ?

better to die on the field of honour the piss your life away down the bozzer aint it ? :lol: :wink:

10. Better yet, survive the field of honour, go home and then urine your life away down the bozzer... 8)

11. My thoughts exactly.

I joined in order to travel to far off lands, meet exotic people and kill them.

Aint life grand?

12. When you're away on exercise (or ops - you'll have to consider the sunshine factor) or camp, you'll have a bond far stronger than anything you could compare with friends and work colleagues - they don't come close to it. 'This band of merry brothers' - and all that.
    I'm serious - the sense of belonging is the major thing I'll miss when I request my 1157, I'm sure of it.
    You'll feel more alive than you ever did before. Well, unless you cop one, obviously.

13. Another option is pop down to Bangor for Air Defence Artillery

14. Not sure what "Air Defence Artillery" but sounds cool!

Am i right in thinking that ill be able to decide once im joined up what area i want to move into? I have to admit i like the idea of being out in the open and not in some pokey room working on tech stuff but maybe thats just my preconception of IT/comms.

15. :lol:

No-one else is sure either, I think it's something to do with the RAF Regiment (?) so it must be cool.