Life begins at 40?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Speedy, Jan 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After reading quite a few posts from people of all ages and experience I'm just wondering about how people found the jobs market after doing their 22 and being cast out into the big wide world.
    Did you find a job easily enough? Did you find a job in the field you wanted? Did you start a new career from the bottom up or did you just live off your pension (fat chance these days)?
    Whilst some may advocate leaving at 12 years because they have a better chance of starting a civvy career at around 30 years old than being 40 is this true? Do companies (especially in new industrial fields, ICT for example) want to recruit people aged 40+ or are you happy do do a job like driving?
    I think a thread like this may make people think about just how much they are willing to commit to an army career (especially junior ranks beyond their 12 year points) for 22 years, and make them decide to plan for a future beyond the green, as staying in may be more costly than starting again.
  2. Speedy, I am close to leaving and have sent a number of speculative enquiries out and asking about being 40 being a problem, the vast majority of companies believe that a 40 year old is more likely to stay with the company/firm/outfit until final retirement, they also say that reliability is better when older especially ex servicemen and women at that age, the education in life is the phrase one person used to describe people of our age.
  3. I've just employed two ex 22 years plus squaddie's as Firearm Enquiry Officers. Just the blokes I needed. I know Kent and a few other Forces have done similar.

4. And right Cnuts they are too,at least round our way possibly being due to their being smarter than the average plod.
  5. I'm also wondering if final rank has a part to play in any prospective jobs being sought or future career plans. Do junior ranks try and apply for senior positions\positions of responsability or are they mainly sought by SNCO's?
    It's one thing to retire as a 22 year WOII but quite another thing to be facing civ-div as a 22 year lance jack with bugger all pension and almost zero experience outside of the job they did in the army.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Being 40 is just a state of mind, BB, we know you are really 56!
  7. It took me a year to get a semi permanent job. Prior to leaving I told my wife that she would now keep me in the life that she had become accustomed to. I would look after the kid and she could work. Being a nurse she got the first job she applied for. I attended many interviews and got quite used to rejection. The job I eventually got was via an acquaintance. This lead onto an other job, which I am in now. I believe that most change jobs within a year of starting the first this may be the transition to working with muppets. Getting used to working in a civy environment will be very frustrating.
  8. I got out 5 years ago at 43 and found a couple of things - the first was that the age was no particular handicap - but then I interviewed with 3 guys in their fifties, who saw me as a young blerk (!). The second was that it took some time to establish a personal network (I joined a large company, your mileage may vary). The third was that the interpersonal skills you learn in the Army - i.e. treating everyone with respect and a degree of humour - work very well. The fourth was that civilians are a lot more fragile than squaddies tend to be and will be alert for banter. First IA before delivering a one-liner is to check it over mentally, first and then err on the side of not delivering it...

The last thing was that an ex-squaddie of 40-odd will be considerably more flexible mentally than the average civvie of 30-odd and will not see change as either threatening or unwelcome.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I left after 12 years and walked into a job. It had more to do with the fact a lot of people were needed for the telecoms boom than anything else though. Timing is everything. Work is not hard to come by if you are good at whatever it is you do. There is a different ethos outside that takes some getting used to. Not much loyalty in civie street.

I’ve been out now for over 8 years and am enjoying life to the full. Age should not be a problem for you and you will have a lot to offer civie employers. Final rank is immaterial, most don’t know the difference between a LCpl and a Major. Many junior NCOs have gone onto big things.

I now work for a major telco in Ausralia. I have been to more places around the world since I left and earned in excess of ½ million pounds without too much difficulty. I am not an exception in this industry, where a lot of ex R Signals now work. Not trying to boast just letting you know there are great opportunities after the Army.

Prepare yourself well, and get a good CV together. The biggest thing is to get the interview, and the CV does that for you. Once in the interview most ex squaddies can sell themselves quite well.

Good luck and if you need any help PM me and I will do what I can.
  10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Age is not a barrier. Who invented the concept that we cannot learn new skills later in life. I am still learning and looking for new challenges and if anyone leaving the forces after the 22 yrs point without being prepared to retrain then they will have a tough time outside.
  11. Fantastic point - there's a lot of money to be made out there and it pains me to see good, intelligent lads leave and aim low. Often they daren't believe that 70k a year is easily within reach as they've been so underpaid by the army for sor long. With a bit of work you can get a lot more.
  12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I planned to teach after my 22, went to a company got offered a job at the bottom rung and took it, a year later I went succesfully for a managerial post, as they say the rest is history. Only thing I get pulled for is robost management and communication to the team on my PDP :D
  13. As an employer I totally agree with the above. 1 of my guys is ex 20 year matelot and another is ex 22 year reg.

I would NOT class 40 as "past it" as far as working is concerned and I have a hell of a lot less dramas with the older guys than I do with the younger ones. The older guys also seem more willing to learn the new skills and are definitley a hell of a lot more switched on when dealing with clients. If it wasn't for the fact that some of the jobs at my place are most definitley for Doris's (like making my coffee and remembering birthdays) or for unskilled labourers, I would have an entire workforce consisting only of time served ex forces.
  14. I think there are many variables in the 12vs22 argument. I reckon a lot of it depends on trade, transferable skills, job market looking for those skills, timing is right, etc. Personal finances also would play a part.

However, the number one thing is attitude. I don't think it matters really, 12 years or 22, it probably has more to do with your outlook on life than anything else.

I left almost bang on my 12 as a newly promoted staffie, and despite some reservations at the time and for the first year, I think it was the right thing for me to do, and the right time to go. IMHO I figure that if you do get out at 12, you will most likely be well settled down by the time you hit 40 - whereas your peers are just about to get out and worrying. But like I said, attitude and outlook are the key ingredients.