Life as a VM -

hey guys awaiting medical forms to come back have been doing civvy street vehicle tech now for more then 6/7 years - going in for REME vm and i would like to become VM- A mech
seems it would be a bit different from the normal volkswagens and audis i work on - just want to know a bit about the course after phase 1 and then where are people based and how things work like how do u get ur regiment given to you > as i no alot of infantry from kent go to PWRR is that who they will post me to aswell just didnt quite no how it works,

other questions are do we need our own tools?
is their any books or work programs or dvds i could get to start learning the tanks and vehicles of the army now?
if you are good at what you do can u then go for AACC or Pcompany courses ?
and how long does it roughly take for promotion from craftsman to Lcprl

any other info would be nice to know aswell!!

Thanks guys
Jay

hey guys awaiting medical forms to come back have been doing civvy street vehicle tech now for more then 6/7 years - going in for REME vm and i would like to become VM- A mech
seems it would be a bit different from the normal volkswagens and audis i work on - just want to know a bit about the course after phase 1 and then where are people based and how things work like how do u get ur regiment given to you > as i no alot of infantry from kent go to PWRR is that who they will post me to aswell just didnt quite no how it works,

other questions are do we need our own tools?
is their any books or work programs or dvds i could get to start learning the tanks and vehicles of the army now?
if you are good at what you do can u then go for AACC or Pcompany courses ?
and how long does it roughly take for promotion from craftsman to Lcprl

any other info would be nice to know aswell!!

Thanks guys
Jay
Mate you be attached to anyone. Really up to you. No you don't need our own tools.

You can get posted anywhere, you get a preference, but don't expect it to be acted upon. If they can they will, if not stick a pin in a map, somewhere around Tidworth.

Urm, I wouldnt bother trying to learn anything prior, you have vehicle mechanic knowledge anyway.

There is no A-Mechs anymore.

If your good at your job and a good lad expect promotion to Lcpl within the first 4 years.

I always asked to be posted to Hong Kong or Cyprus.
Never happened.
Spent 9 years in Germany instead, liked it, but would still have liked the others better.

Kool kool I have no real preference to where I am or who with but just herd that pwrr is alot of south east , ok thanks 4 years is not to sad I suppose , is their alot of physical training like their is in phase 1 ? , cheers for answers guys

Nice Germany is closing down soon tho right ? Soo is it just general mechanic now ? And u learn both armoured vehicles and normal? Also do you get to go on your much like to afghan etc ?

Just waltz into the office and TELL them where you want to go....... always works, well for others it seemed to, me Fally three ******* times

Lol , need to pass it all first pal ;) got a long way to go yet but now vm is on most wanted list so hopefully be quicker
No its not.

General Fitter in the RE is.

Oh :/ I see , on my job list it was in bold nd the recruiter said that it's because they were needed ? , Well still Okies my other job briefs are infantry and REME armorer,

VM is ok if you don't mind working when everyone else is pissing it up, or leaving for r&r skiing in the rockies whilst you are stuck on the tank park trying to hand over etc etc.

Thanks for the info A_R, I will inform Recruiting group so we can update your info.
Iron

What kind of a Barb result will the op need for REME and do you think he needs to brush up on his basic literacy skills before sitting the test?

To answer a few of the questions.1) No you don't need your own tools as will always get issued tools at your next posting by people like A_R. Seen a few lads over the years bring there own Snap On kit costing 1000's and it still gets dropped down Power Packs or gets diverted into some magpie's tool box instead.2) Just have the basic knowledge for now and you may even be fast tracked in SEME if you prove on entrance tests your already at a very good standard, as you pointed out you know civvy vehicles so still have to do the wonders of epicyclip gears etc, so no need reading up on stuff as you will learn it all.3) Regarding P coy and Commando courses etc, just show an interest in your fitness and SEME and look out for the winged up/daggered up lads on their Tiffy courses then put a preference in to go to a unit in 16 Brigade for instance 8 CS. We had lots of lads come to us in Colly to my LAD who showed an interest but we wouldn't let them do the Beat ups to P Coy till they had been there at least a year as didn't want them to get career fowled so concentrate on your trade first and look at doing P Coy/Commando course/PTI course in second or third year if fit enough. Dont walk before you can run though concentarte in passing ADSC, getting allocated and passing phase 1 and trade training.As said above around 3-4 years from crafty to LCpl depending on you.

IronWhat kind of a Barb result will the op need for REME and do you think he needs to brush up on his basic literacy skills before sitting the test?
He only needs 48 for VM, its not hard to get as most B mechs who are thick as a whale ommlette can pass it, obviously if he is going tiffy he needs to start practicing a bit of plagarism.

Thanks for the info A_R, I will inform Recruiting group so we can update your info.
Whilst your at it can you get them to remove my ugly sweed and video from the site also :)