life as a crewman (Gunner)

itwasVTEC

Swinger
Hi lads, ive picked tank crewman as one of my desired roles, i have a general idea of what the role entails but i still have a few questions that i would like to put forward to those who have had experience in the role.

When you pick the role of a crewman, i assume many applicants have a desired role within the tank they want to be trained in (including my self) do you get a choice as to what you want to be or is it the regiment that decides ?

do you have a choice as to what regiment you would like to work in or is it based of your location in the Uk, for example, i live in Peterborough.

and lastly, a bit of silly one but thought id mention it, will i be working in a challenger 2 MBT or other vehicles such as the warrior, i would expect challenger 2 as that's all they ever talk about on the crewman page.

Thanks in advance to any replies :)

You will have the choice initially to be either a driver or gunner.
Once you have spent time in the regiment you will advance to crewman, which means you will be trained to operate in all positions, driver, gunner, loader/operator.
You can apply to join any regiment you want, but whether it is offered to you will depend on your ability and the availability of places.
Bear in mind that only people who aren't good enough to be drivers end up as turret crew.

Boxy

GCM
Generally, through time you’ll get all three trades and become a Crewman, initially you’ll get trained in one or two after basic and get your third at the Regt, well that was the case in my day, but I can’t see it changing much.

That means when you get to your Regt you’ll be employed in that role and put where needed.

RAC is RAC, Tanks, CVR(T) or this new Ajax/Ares thing, Warrior tends to be infantry

I think these days you enlist into the RAC, with a preference of regiment. You may not get that. You will be trained in whatever the army needs. All is not lost, as the RAC only has one career - AFV crewman. If you start as a driver, your next upgrade will be as a gunner and vice versa. It’s all part of the fun, and gives you further capabilities.
If you know what regiment you want to join, there is no harm in pushing for it from day one. RTR, QRH and KRH use CR2, the other regiments use other vehicles such as CVRT.
If you have set your heart on MBT, ask to join RTR. They are likely to be the last regiment using CR2.
CVRT is, however, a great deal of fun.
Whatever your choice, and however it works out, enjoy.
All the best.

itwasVTEC

Swinger
thanks, guys for the replies, i will definitely ask to join the Royal Tank Regiment as the CR2 is definitely something I'm interested in, although once your in, how long do you have to do before you can transfer to something different such as armoured engineers, is it the standard 4 years or can you transfer earlier?

thanks, guys for the replies, i will definitely ask to join the Royal Tank Regiment as the CR2 is definitely something I'm interested in, although once your in, how long do you have to do before you can transfer to something different such as armoured engineers, is it the standard 4 years or can you transfer earlier?
Then why not join the RE? If you want to do that, join them and work it out from there.
Transferring between Corps is dependent on lots of things. The losing Corps has to be happy you are going, the gaining Corps happy you are transferring for the right reasons. The army might want you where you are, having spent a lot of money getting you where they want you to be.
My suggestion: have a proper think about what you want to do.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi lads, ive picked tank crewman as one of my desired roles, i have a general idea of what the role entails but i still have a few questions that i would like to put forward to those who have had experience in the role.

When you pick the role of a crewman, i assume many applicants have a desired role within the tank they want to be trained in (including my self) do you get a choice as to what you want to be or is it the regiment that decides ?

do you have a choice as to what regiment you would like to work in or is it based of your location in the Uk, for example, i live in Peterborough.

and lastly, a bit of silly one but thought id mention it, will i be working in a challenger 2 MBT or other vehicles such as the warrior, i would expect challenger 2 as that's all they ever talk about on the crewman page.

Thanks in advance to any replies :)
I posted this in your first thread. Reply to this one of you need to.

In case this thread gets moved and remains valid.

Caveat. I did CVR(T) because my regiment rerôled off Chieftain as I joined.

If you turn out not to be the best gunner on your crew, I'd expect your troop to look at whether you are right. After you have some time in, you can express your preference. Best bet is to listen to your gunnery instructor (assuming you get a gunnery course early. I suspect in the last 45 years, they've mandated which order you do your training courses) and be the best gunner you can. A tank gunner is a troglodyte on ops/training. The only daylight he gets is down his gunsight. He has the commander's knees around his neck and the commander fills the hatch via which the gunner will exit the vehicle. In barracks, there is little to choose between crew roles.

There are three MBT regiments. One in Tidworth (curiously a couple of hours ago I was looking at Tidworth on Google Maps. Various RHQs are listed. Makes an enemy spy's job easier). Pretty sure one is in Catterick. Shrug. Lost track of the third. But it won't be close to Peterborough. Where you end up may be whichever of the three MBT regiments recruits in Peterborough. Or, because there are only three, you could end up in whichever regiment needs you most. At least if it isn't RTR, it will be a fine cavalry regiment with a long, glorious history.

will i be working in a challenger 2 MBT or other vehicles such as the warrior, i would expect challenger 2 as that's all they ever talk about on the crewman page.

There are two other roles, with three (I believe, if I haven't missed an amalgamation) regiments in each.

Light Cavalry use Jackal and Coyote (a stretched Jackal). They are very long distance, very light, very fast reconnaissance and spend a lot of time overseas in places like Poland and currently Mali on Operation Newcombe.

Reconnaissance regiments (edit. Now seemingly called Armoured Cavalry) are about to get Ajax, a very heavy reconnaissance vehicle. Have a look at this

to learn about vehicles used by the Royal Armoured Corps in non-MBT roles.

I've been out of the RAC nearly 40 years. You can ask, but I can't promise.

Last edited:
Getting into these threads.
5’10” is nowt. Big lads go in the drivers bit, no matter how hard it is to squeeze them in.
If you do go MBT, you must also be prepared for just how physical the work is. Although operating the awesome beast that is an MBT is a crew task, the commander will mainly be away doing other tasks. That’s three of you to work something that is about fifty years old. Refuelling, re-arming, checking engine levels etc are all manual, heavy tasks. Changing the tracks is a big deal.
And it all has to be cleaned. Immaculately.
The reward? Moving an MBT and live firing. It’s truly brilliant. A real team at work.

Latest Threads