Life as a CMT

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Robbo82, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello to all
    Just to find out more about the CMT role by people serving in the RAMC could some of you share experiences in the role itself?
    Or even staff who heard stories from CMT's or worked with them.?

Hope to see many many replies.

:)

2. In barracks (ie when not deployed) the life of the CMT is dull dull dull, tentage, painting boxes, oiling ancient 432s (if in Germany) that are left over from the Cold war and going on exercise. When deployed the CMT is invaluable. Then when back after the deployment its back to barrack life.

two years ago while I was in Munster, 1 CS returned from Telic, big welcome home on the saturday, monday morning it was work as usual. Fat CMT bird (although bigging herself up a fair bit) said 'on Saturday I was a war hero(!!!!!), this morning I'm getting bollocked for my kit and picking up fag ends!'

3. Guess painting boxes is better than nothing lol :p

Do you get to go on a few tours? Or not as much as a CMT?

4. Depends, if youre at a med unit then youll go when your unit goes, if youre attached to a teeth arm, youll go when they do.

Im not a CMT (I was for a year) Im an Operating Department Practitioner and they get constantly nailed for tours!

5. Did you transfer from CMT to ODP?

6. In joined to be an OTT (as they were back in the good old days), but I had to do my CMT 3 and then go to a field unit for a year until my course started.

7. Why are you asking?

8. Just interested to hear about other people who are serving or have served in similar job roles.
    Same as when my dad talks about what he used to do in the RAOC was very interesting to know. But as I want to join as a CMT I just thought someone might be able to give me an insight of Medical life in the Army.

9. Read John Nicols new book Medic big shoes to fill I was a CMT for 24 years and loved it I have been out for 7 years so will leave advice to more current members.

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I cant believe a damp duster is having the usual pop at CMT's.

11. Thanks cbgramc

Hope I do get more advice of people serving.

12. I thought I was being quite nice!

13. Ah for the good old days when there were military hospitals and the CMTs got cushy jobs sitting on Reception! :D :D :D

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I enjoyed it- but it was in Berlin!

15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

True.