Life and Death on the Eastern Front , Rare Colour Photograph's from the Second World War

Life and Death on the Eastern Front , Rare Colour Photograph's from the Second World War

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Rare Colour Photograph's from the Second World War

The first thing you notice about this hardback book is its weight, the quality of the paper used is self evident, it is so heavy, this being reflected in the quality of the images reproduced.

Most images of the Second World war are in black and white, although now with modern technology , artists are colourising them, many to a high standard, but unless you have samples of the original materials, paints, and background available...

Click here to read the full review.....

I received this book the other day and would mostly concur with what the Reviewer notes; it is a fascinating collection and well worth the modest asking price of under £20.

As a long-time collector of pre-1945 colour images, I'm very familiar with Ian Spring's collection, which as noted, runs to over 30,000 images covering a host of topics well beyond the Eastern Front. He has also put a lot of effort into enhancing and freshening up faded photographs to give them a contemporary feel (although many were acquired directly from veterans families and had not seen the light of day since 1945). Also nice to see them in high definition without the watermark.

The book contains many of the best known images from the collection, but also some excellent ones I haven't seen before. I have a couple of minor, nerdy niggles: some of Spring's best photographs from Operation Barbarossa are not in the book; and the choice of full-page spreads is a bit odd, with some of the best shots being relegated to insets. But, not enough to put me off buying it by any means.

Here are a couple that did not make the book, that I particularly like:

1654859211277.png

1654859774555.png

Overall, a valuable addition to any WW2 library, and nice to see some of this collection in print...

Rare Colour Photograph's from the Second World War

The first thing you notice about this hardback book is its weight, the quality of the paper used is self evident, it is so heavy, this being reflected in the quality of the images reproduced.

Most images of the Second World war are in black and white, although now with modern technology , artists are colourising them, many to a high standard, but unless you have samples of the original materials, paints, and background available...

Click here to read the full review.....
An excellent book, the photos are superb, i was partcularly interested in the logistics side and was not disappointed.

Ordered and will be added to my collection of photo books and zines.
Sorry to say, I never open any of them as I lay them down like wine: they're books that will increase in value eventually so I view them as a long term investment for my kids.
I go to the big library and get them to get the books in if I want have an ogle, or there's always the web.

Latest Threads