Life aint like that

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldRedCap, May 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a extract from the diary of a newby police officer. So - why here?
    It sets out the internal strains of being a law officer and how it differs in life from the adverts. I reckon there is some element of that in the Army recruiting publicity I have seen. There is a heck of a lot of criticism on here about the police and much may be considered justified. I think it reasonable to just lift a bit of the curtain and see how the OB himself may be feeling. As a sybill, there were a number of occasions when I worked closely with the civil force and I have to say that I do not fully recognise the accounts and opinions here. They are mainly decent blokes - uncommonly like you and me. Shafted and stiffed as many of us were and are.

Sitting in the hall, I was surrounded by more than two hundred other recruits as one of the training school’s top cops told us how our career would make a huge difference to the people and communities we served.

Suddenly the lights were dimmed, curtains drawn and a huge projector which had until now been redundant, fizzled into life. Speakers around the hall boomed the accompanying music and I realised that we were being shown the sort of video that might be used in a recruitment drive. As I watched foot chases, vehicle pursuits, the force helicopter flying past, complete with dogs and fast cars on the ground, I found myself being seduced by the exciting lifestyle I was about to enter. This is what policing is about, I thought to myself and this is why I signed up.

Looking back, I’m somewhat confused about the production of the video we were shown and wonder whether its so many oversights were genuine errors. It made no mention of the extremely rare number of 999 calls that are actually genuine. It didn’t show the suicide victims that we would have to deal with. It didn’t show the officers having to deal with the bodies of young children killed in road accidents, or the officer having to break the news to the parents. Surely these were just production errors? I’m certain the police would not have deliberately edited these parts out and created a misleading video. That said, the biggest thing that was not mentioned was the massive amount of police time and taxpayers’ money that is wasted, even for the most simple of jobs.

Jamie Marino* is a 14-year-old who is just like any other teenage boy. Apart from the criminal record he has for assault, handling stolen goods, criminal damage and an offensive weapon. One day he decided that he wanted some money from his foster parent, so as eloquently as he could, he made the request but unfortunately for him it was refused. Usually a sulky teenager might storm out of the house, shout that “it’s not fair” and maybe even slam a door for good measure. But Jamie does things a little differently. He attempted to flood the bathroom and wreak as much havoc as he could. When his foster parent tried to get him out of the bathroom and turn the taps off, Jamie assaulted him before fleeing.

A simple case you might think; I certainly did before I embarked on dealing with it. All the time I am dealing with it, I am unable to take other emergency calls which might be genuine victims requiring help, rather than other angels like Jamie.

1500: Enter property to arrest Jamie for assault. His bedroom is empty.

1530: Jamie is found hiding in a cupboard and arrested. His carers are told someone will need to come down to the station.

1600: Arrive at the police station where he is booked in. Fingerprints and picture cannot be taken until his appropriate adult has arrived. Jamie is put into a cell with a magazine for him to read. He states he does not want a solicitor but takes advice on the phone.

1605: I chase up foster carers who state that someone will be down within the hour.

1705: Solicitor turns up to represent Jamie. He states he did not request him, but he can take a larger chunk of the taxpayer’s money if he turns up in person and so has used his initiative.

1815: Appropriate adult arrives nearly three hours after he has been arrested.

1830: Fingerprints and photographs are taken.

1845: Disclosure with solicitor (who if you remember correctly was not even requested).

1915: Interview starts. Jamie reads out a short statement claiming that his foster carer attacked him and he lashed out in self defence. His solicitor then states that he will be giving a no comment interview.

1930: Interview terminated after no comment throughout. Solicitor sat throughout picking dirt from beneath his fingernail and looking thoroughly bored. Appropriate adult kept looking at his watch and sighing.

1945: Jamie is bailed for two weeks while further inquiries are made.

2000 - 2145: Case papers started, inquiries made with CPS until the end of the shift and a quick sandwich.

None of this was on the video we were shown at the start of training. But I’m insisting it is just an oversight and am sure that the recruitment material and literature will be adjusted in time to show that seven hours of police time is justifiable for someone like Jamie.

* Not the individual’s real name

2. So the career chosen is nothing like the recruitment adverts which are specifically designed to do this? That to me says a lot more about the individual than it does the profession. I know that Box were swamped with job applications when Spooks came out because, yes, that is the life you will lead... honest. I understand the guys frustration but you could argue that it is partly due to their own naivety.

3. I'd blame Frank.

4. [​IMG]

It's not from this book is it? "PC Copperfield" was an actual police officer who left and went to Canada? (I think). A very illuminating read for anyone who is considering a career in law enforcement IMO.

It has long been known that after a successful TV run the amount of deluded bozos applying for careers under the pathetic expectation that 'Oooo, it will be just like it is on the telly!' increases dramatically.

After 'It Shouldn't Happen To A Vet' applications to veterinary school went through the roof.

Anybody care to guess what's happened to forensic science since CSI :roll:

5. I joined the Army for the water sking and to see the world...

Nobody told me about RSMs drill parades, or kitchen and QMs fatigues...

Rodney2q

6. Send Jamie to Bridgend.

7. They didn't :? How awful for you! Still, now that army recruiment is being outsourced to Crapita or some such gormless bunch, don't be too expect any new recruits to told about any of that either!

Army Recruiment Outsourcing
    (see also Private Eye this week 15th May, pg 27)

8. Half an hour to find someone hiding in the cupboard. I take it he didn't make onto the search team then?.. :wink:

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum