Life After RAC

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Moving_Target, Aug 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm thinking of joining the RAC but am apprehensive about what I'll do when I leave, I know I'll gain some vehicle servicing and maintenance qualifications but what use are these in the real world. Perhaps if you can tell me what you did when you left it might help shed some light on the matter. Also, I'm one of the older recruits (30) and would like to know if you think I can really make a long career out of it?

Cheers in advance.
  2. Can't help. I'm with the AA.
  3. HHH

HHH LE

It's mystic Meg you need to ask!
  4. Ha-ha, I can see there are some half-talented comedians amongst you, but seriously; is there a life after the RAC for someone in my position or will I spend the rest of my days living on the streets, rummaging through bins, tossing myself off, waiting to die?
  5. Depends what courses you can get on - aircon, electronics and auto transmission are transferrable but smacking out track pins is not in high demand...
  6. Thanks, that sheds some more light on the matter, do you know where I might find any relevant course material?
  7. If I was a mod, I'd do my best to change the title of this thread to "Life after WRAC".

But I'm not.
  8. To be honest, at your age, if you're already thinking about coming out, what's the point of going in, FFS? If you want a trade or qualifications, then go for the support arms and services, not the teeth arms. (Are they still called that?)
  9. If the army is going to be your main career from now on then don't worry about life after the RAC. I can think of nothing worse than spending 20 odd years in one branch of the army while all the time wishing you had gone to a different branch. If you want tanks, then join the RAC and enjoy! Most ex RAC don't get jobs based on their army qualifications, they get jobs based on the people they have become thanks to serving in the Royal Armoured Corps.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

What Aghart said. Commit yourself to your career (it won't last long if you don't). Enjoy it. Everybody who posts regularly in this forum does so because his years in the RAC were the best of his life.

If one day you grow up (as I did), THEN you can look at a career change, within or without the army. I personally went Pay Corps (now AGC) and was trained as a mainframe programmer, job for life. Had I not passed the aptitude test, I asked if I might train to be an RAPC Cost and Management Accountant (cos it sounded like it would pay well when I got out). Ultimately after seven years in armoured recce and seven years in RAPC, I got generally fed up of army completely: different priorities, had to decide whether to stay on for the 22 years that then would have earned me an immediate pension or go civvy. (Note: you will never again be a civvy: you'll be ex-army and proud.)

I've been out 23 years this month, mortgage is paid off, debts are well under control. But those RAC years were the best days of my life even if I did have to patrol streets where I might get shot, visit stupidly hot places (and stupidly cold or wet places).

What could be better?

11. Well that pretty much covers your days in the RAC, what you do afterwards is up to you. :thumright:

Bear in mind lots of people go on to do completely different things unrelated to their career in the Army.
  12. I work in homeless and housing currently, before that - I worked with learning disabilities and finished off there (was down south, now back up north) teaching disabilities in an adult educational college. I did nearly 4 years CVR(T) and 2 years shagging donkeys. I also have qualifications in my army areas, but wanted to do something different. Saying that I've now got various NVQ's and City & Guilds shite coming out of my arse.

Don't think that every normal civvie gets a job and by 21 have set their whole life career path out. People have career changes at 40 years old, no shame in it, just make sure you can transfer your pension!
  13. Cheers, some encouraging answers, I agree that at this stage I'm better off focussing on a long term career; what do you think my chances would be if I told you I had aspirations to join the pathfinders. There's a great documentry about them on Youtube.
    Pathfinder Platoon - Afghanistan (part 1/5) - YouTube