Life after Army Intelligence

Stumpy1001

Clanker
I Just had a quick question about what happens to all these intelligence soldiers/officers once they leave the army. Do a lot end up working in (for example) SIS etc? Or is it the same case that members of the RMP suffer. That being the skills/experience attained are actually not that transferable into the civilian police force?

The reason I ask is that if you joined when you were say 20 and stayed in for 15 years I would imagine you'd have done a lot of diversely different things and gained a lot of skills/qualifications but yet at the same time still be relatively young in the grand scheme of things.
It would seem a waste (to some) in a sense if you then ended up as a mechanic or something else that is largely unrelated.

Loki_bad

Swinger
A friend of mine is now management staff at a large 24 hour Tesco's, might be more to do with been single mum and making ends meet than anything else. Plus been management atlest she can pick her own shifts to a point.

I know of one ex officer who is happy to live off his pension. Visits the south west (the estate next door), takes out their quad and chain saw and slashes and cuts all the wrong timber, is apt to trespass (twice been politely asked to f**k off out of my wood), and is an all round nuisance to everyone !..........................................Just saying!

D

Deleted 4886

I know of one ex officer who is happy to live off his pension. Visits the south west (the estate next door), takes out their quad and chain saw and slashes and cuts all the wrong timber, is apt to trespass (twice been politely asked to f**k off out of my wood), and is an all round nuisance to everyone !..........................................Just saying!
Spooky- I retrained as an arborist and tree climber, then put those skills to use by retiring to Asia ten years ago.

After I left the regulars I joined a TA recce regt. I later spent 6 months as a snco troop commander and finished up training recruits and playing with CR2 at weekends. :)

These days I run my own business in the hobby industry and pretty much do what I want.

Never really had anything to do with the Int stuff after leaving the regulars, although some of the imagery analysis skills did come in handy when studying some WW2 era aerial photographs while designing a model for a movie...the model is on the pool table behind the bloke in the red t-shirt...

sddefault.jpg

:)

Rodney2q

Following my success as Sweep, playing opposite Gladys's Sooty at the Gaumont, Newquay, I moved in to travelling repertory. I will never get a major role, like the Colonel of Motor Rifle in "Threat!" at the Globe, Minden, but I knew I had found my true vocation after my improvised performance at the Tara Theatre club St Martin's Plain as far back as 1975.

During a break at my time with the Harp Players, my early work playing Peter Pan in a promenade performance at Malone Golf course did not go well. In attempting to create an authentic pirate fight scene the Austin 1800 rolled in to the lake complete with the Sterling, a Walther PPK, £500 from the FIF and more seriously the works ticket holder. Fortunately the works ticket holder floated to the surface. As RWAC was named as the authorised driver, I made my polite excuses and left on foot with PA to ASP.

Inspired by the COMSO's passionate performance in the back row of the Garrison theatre at Ay Nik, I played an under-cover police officer during the Winchester By Pass protest, so convincingly that I got one of the protestors pregnant. More difficult for my co star Adrian Radford who could not get Lawrence pregnant, no matter how hard he tried.

My one regret is not getting an Equity card from the start.

You could always write a book about your service & all the bad things you did for Queen & Country?
Perhaps your time spent with "Them" undercover would go down well & also the plot to kill yourself?

D

Deleted 4886

You could always write a book about your service & all the bad things you did for Queen & Country?
Why do you think I moved away from 'D Notices' and prosecution- the manuscript is with the publishers as we speak. Working title- KITD AFOS (My Life Without Cheese Sandwiches).

Following my success as Sweep, playing opposite Gladys's Sooty

SNIP

That takes me back. I never understood half of what you were talking about...

...still don't

:)

Rodney2q

This is an area that I think is suitable for direct entry to the police. One of the deterrents to highly trained (military) intelligence staff going into the police has been the requirement to spend a few years as a PC before moving into an Intel job. While some may enjoy that, it means a few years of skill fade and modest pay before you get that job. Direct entry at say, inspector rank would allow a retired WO or Major to make a decent living and bring current skills and training into the police.

I want nothing to do with the military or the intelligence services when I'm out. I know there are a fair amount of jobs in some of the trades I have done over the past few years, but I didn't like doing them at the time so why would I want to do them as a civvy!

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is an area that I think is suitable for direct entry to the police. One of the deterrents to highly trained (military) intelligence staff going into the police has been the requirement to spend a few years as a PC before moving into an Intel job. While some may enjoy that, it means a few years of skill fade and modest pay before you get that job. Direct entry at say, inspector rank would allow a retired WO or Major to make a decent living and bring current skills and training into the police.
Int. In English we say int. Intel make processors.

Also, based on my limited experience, police use of intelligence is rather different to the way the military uses it and it's collected for a fundamentally different purpose. Don't know many ex-military intelligence types (of all three services) or OGD old boys and girls who've really enjoyed working in police int.

Int. In English we say int. Intel make processors.

Also, based on my limited experience, police use of intelligence is rather different to the way the military uses it and it's collected for a fundamentally different purpose. Don't know many ex-military intelligence types (of all three services) or OGD old boys and girls who've really enjoyed working in police int.
In English? It's nothing to with English - what you mean is that in the Army, you abbreviate differently. Condescending twat.

Don't know many ex-military intelligence types (of all three services) or OGD old boys and girls who've really enjoyed working in police int.

You should have been on the Winchester By Pass protest Bay Beeee

A job in the police is a stepping stone to working for a microchip company?? Amazing!!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Following my success as Sweep, playing opposite Gladys's Sooty at the Gaumont, Newquay, I moved in to travelling repertory. I will never get a major role, like the Colonel of Motor Rifle in "Threat!" at the Globe, Minden, but I knew I had found my true vocation after my improvised performance at the Tara Theatre club St Martin's Plain as far back as 1975.

During a break at my time with the Harp Players, my early work playing Peter Pan in a promenade performance at Malone Golf course did not go well. In attempting to create an authentic pirate fight scene the Austin 1800 rolled in to the lake complete with the Sterling, a Walther PPK, £500 from the FIF and more seriously the works ticket holder. Fortunately the works ticket holder floated to the surface. As RWAC was named as the authorised driver, I made my polite excuses and left on foot with PA to ASP.

Inspired by the COMSO's passionate performance in the back row of the Garrison theatre at Ay Nik, I played an under-cover police officer during the Winchester By Pass protest, so convincingly that I got one of the protestors pregnant. More difficult for my co star Adrian Radford who could not get Lawrence pregnant, no matter how hard he tried.

I take it you are a true disciple of Sustainer in BAR?

Arkanstigger

War Hero
The Nuclear Industry is your friend.
Following Fukushima and general unease about beardy blokes getting near fissiley stuff you can't move for ex-Int bods all working for SERCO.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Nuclear Industry is your friend.
Following Fukushima and general unease about beardy blokes getting near fissiley stuff you can't move for ex-Int bods all working for SERCO.

Your nickname here is the first one to give me the creeps.

In English? It's nothing to with English - what you mean is that in the Army, you abbreviate differently. Condescending twat.

1. In UK Government we abbreviate differently. If you are not a civvy, you are behaving like one.
2. This is the Int Corps thread, if you don't like our abbreviations, suggest you go and crayon somewhere else.

Latest Threads