• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Lieutenant Tulbahadur Pun VC - Gurkha war heros agony

Yeah yeah, before anyone goes off on one I know its from the Sun but its worth reporting and well IMHO a total disgrace....

Gurkha war hero's agony

Read the article and lets hear some views.... Maybe enough letters to the Museum will 'help' them change their minds...

The pityness of it all, but typical.
That currator should ashamed of himself.

Think some questions should be asked of
how the regiments assosiation could donate
the medals without the owners consent.

If there is truth in this story then its an outrage.

How many Arrsers can write and forward thier thoughts to the curator of the Ghurka museum, expressing thier disgruntlement at their reluctance to forward the medal.

I'm sure there must be more to the story, but if its a matter of funding a mans time and airfare to accompany it then I'm sure the ranks of this site would be more than prepared to chip in.

Men such as this should live forever, if not in reality then in legend he is being relayed to generations of younger soldiers.

Why not ask Beharry if he would like to take his medal to him? hows that for a KAPE exercise.

PS..... Are Ghurka museum curators scary little fcukers too? :D

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
A quick part of his citation:

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the VICTORIA CROSS to :-

No. 10119 Rifleman Tullbahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Indian Army.

In Burma on June 23rd, 1944, a Battalion of the 6th Gurkha Rifles was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire at close range from a position known as the Red House and from a strong bunker position two hundred yards to the left of it.

So intense was this cross fire that both the leading platoons of 'B' Company, one of which was Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun's, were pinned to the ground and the whole of his Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but was at once badly wounded. Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun and his remaining companion continued the charge, but the latter too was immediately wounded.

Rifleman Tulbahadur Pun then seized the Bren Gun, and firing from the hip as he went, continued the charge on this heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of the most shattering concentration of automatic fire, directed straight at him. With the dawn coming up behind him, he presented a perfect target to the Japanese. He had to move for thirty yards over open ground, ankle deep in mud, through shell holes and over fallen trees.

Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Red House and closed with the Japanese occupations. He killed three and put five more to flight and captured two light machine guns and much ammunition. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

His outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death were most inspiring to all ranks and beyond praise.

minister_doh_nut said:

How many Arrsers can write and forward thier thoughts to the curator of the Ghurka museum, expressing thier disgruntlement at their reluctance to forward the medal.

I'm sure there must be more to the story, but if its a matter of funding a mans time and airfare to accompany it then I'm sure the ranks of this site would be more than prepared to chip in.

Men such as this should live forever, if not in reality then in legend he is being relayed to generations of younger soldiers.

Why not ask Beharry if he would like to take his medal to him? hows that for a KAPE exercise.

PS..... Are Ghurka museum curators scary little fcukers too? :D
You're better writing one letter, posting it on here, the ARRSE're can then cut and paste it into word, putting their name to it.

The Curator will then know it's an organised campaign and may take a little more note than letters from individuals.......

Happy to draft a formal if needed.

Beebs x

blessed baby cakes said:
You're better writing one letter, posting it on here, the ARRSE're can then cut and paste it into word, putting their name to it.

The Curator will then know it's an organised campaign and may take a little more note than letters from individuals.......

Happy to draft a formal if needed.

Beebs x
That sounds like an excellent plan, I'd be pleased to put my name to it.

Go for it Beebs :)

minister_doh_nut said:

I'm ex RAF and I have exRAF friends who now fly for civvie airlines. I have no problem asking if one of those companies might do a PR job? Although it would be nice if MoD did soething but we all know what they're like ;)

Thoughts?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
May I makle myself unpopular here ( well more so than normal) by asking about the original 'donation' to the museum.

Was it voluntary - as given in the paper just 'cos an occifer asked him
Was it voluntary - but a wee bung to let him do it.

Now I don't really give a toss which it is/was, the guy is still alive and the VC belongs to HIM, not the Regimental Museum or Association.

Let him have his medal - sell it if he wishes, and pay back the original bung (if there was one), but the end line is IT IS HIS VC.

Talbahdur Pun, VC - I salute you.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm with the Oompa-Loompa on this one & reckon if she comes up with a draft letter it won't be far wide of the mark
This clown of a Maj - or possibly Maj (Retd) - should sit up & blink when he realises it's more than a few outraged ex-sldrs who are disgusted by his attitude.

As MDN says it would be a class act if the property of Pun VC could be returned by Beharry VC.
Out of interest, what gives the Regtl Assoc the right to donate the gallantry award to the museum anyway ?

Cutaway said:
As MDN says it would be a class act if the property of Pun VC could be returned by Beharry VC.
Out of interest, what gives the Regtl Assoc the right to donate the gallantry award to the museum anyway ?
generally because the VC pension on its own not supported by a UK state pension isn't much and there have been a few occasions when medals have been sold to the associations by their holders, some of who have then renegotiated a better deal 10 - 15 years later. It was an unofficial way of keeping the less well off VC holders going financially, but some spawny civil servant accountant/lawyer has probably got involved now and become jobsworth about ownership etc

There probably is an agreement somewhere in that while Tulbahadur is alive, he should still have access to his VC. Look like someone's dropped bollock about forgetting this has made the front page.

However as Awol has pointed out, this is an article by one of the more subjective, biased, miss out the facts scum cnut defence journalists. Facts need checking before launching in to full campaign.

edited for speshal grammar and to add TCTND comment

He only wants to wear it one final time, whether he fell on hard times, cashed it on or sold it years ago and the museum have aquired it.

All this hero wants to do is wear his gong one final time... He hasn't asked for it to be returned he isn't trying to reclaim it.

Am going to send a PM to the COs to see if they can open some sort of paypal system.... Maybe I am jumping the gun but if money is an obstacle then it can be knocked over by a small campaign on here.

I read the mans citation and as with most VC stories a large lump appeared in my throat and a feeling of utter pride and and admiration came over me. If this man dies without having the opportunity to wear the medal he earned then those involved in not making it possible for him will have to live with it.

Latest Threads