Lies, damned lies, statistics, the Iraqi death toll...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ExplodingTrousers, Jan 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The latest figures to emerge from Iraq suggest that the Lancet's suggested figure of 600,000 violent deaths (2006) were out by, well, a fair bit. A new study from the Iraqi Ministry of Health counts a death toll of between 104,000 to 223,000, and gets a mention in the New Scientist:

Link

Has the moment for these figures passed, politically speaking?

2. Phew - only a 104 thousand. Glad it hasn't got out of control then

3. ...and only a 119k variation.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Somebody, somewhere, can't think who, said that killing 20 people is mass murder, but killing half a million is something else. Is there really a substantive difference between 120,000 dead bods and 600,000, apart from the number of course? I thought people stopped counting at 100,000 anyway.

Honestly not trying to be funny, but when you look at Rwanda and various other genocides, it tends to become a little meaningless, arguing the semantics of a couple of hundred thousand.

5. "One death is a tragedy, a million dead is a statistic"

Stalin I believe

6. Nah, its a figure of 163.5K with a 59.5K variation... maybe 600K is the 3 sigma value eh?

I'll get my coat.

TB

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

That's the cookie - I think he was right - after all, he was responsible for nigh on 50 million from the purges, mass starvation, farming collectives, gulags and salt mines to cr@p fighting practices against the krauts.

8. Reminds me of the number of Scud missiles the USAF said they had destroyed in 1991 - was something like 400% more than the Iraqi's acttually had.
    Daily briefs were a work of fantasy

9. Get you. The point I wanted to make was that the Ministry quoted anything from 104k to 223k. this struck me as being a bit aof a wild variation and led me to remember the word of the imortal Bard, when he said 'It's all bollocks'

10. Statistics are only balls when created by some group/person with a vested interest... sadly this seems to be most of the time.

But, "87.5% of statistics are made up on the spot" - Vic Reeves.

TB

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Who really cares?