Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Bushmills, Mar 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most medical professionals have to pass a university course in understanding research design & methods. It enables one to critically evaluate research and it's suitability for implementation into practice.

It is a very dry subject. I did it last spring.
  2. That and the bungs from the medical equipment and medicine suppliers.
  3. The author seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the medical profession not accepting the role of healing crystals and chanting the word "Om" in curing all our ills.

In other words, he's a twat.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm sure there's probably a reason that this was posted in CA. F*cked if I can think of it though.
  5. When I was at school, almost every kid had an asthma inhaler. Going to the doctor for just about anything seemed to result in being prescribed an inhaler.

I've wondered whether it was to do with profits, or 'being on the safe side', or laziness, etc.
  6. Och, Professor Sixty, you auld've spent too much time banging the arse off Janet in the cludgie!
  7. Best book on this subejct - Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. Recommend it heartily.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Not anymore it breaches the ABPI code of conduct. Can't even get a pen these days.
  9. A Mexican medic mate of mine who has also been a research scientist insists 90% of modern doctoring is about as scientific as Voodoo. He also maintains theatrically doing fuck all like an Apache shaman is often what is best for the patient and the average US medic in pumping patients full of over priced and barely understood pharmaceuticals is often little more than a snake oil salesman. He does smoke a lot of weed though.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PMSL. That post is brilliant Alib.
  11. Mumbo jumbo mate!
  12. [​IMG]
    At least they won't put you on Statins for a quick bung from the government.