Liebour to trash Dannatts reputation after he retires

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, give them enough rope...

Labour do not get it. The public actually respect the Armed Forces and believe what they are told by General Dannatt - as this week has made clear.

Please let the gloves come off, I know who my money is on.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I rather suspect that his would-be detractors will have their hands full protecting themselves, particularly after the Norwich By-election. If they do have a go, all it will do is keep the story in the public eye and, since the facts are with Dannat, it is not an exchange Labour will win. The days when the media danced entirely to Labour's tune are passed which is why this ministerial goon is reduced to talking about it rather than doing it.

3. Yes, he is known to be a fair and upright man in direct contrast to our worthless political 'leadership'. Let them go ahead they will experience even more public disgust.

4. And you thought this dreadful shower couldn't sink any lower?

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

They've been on the bottom for some time.

Their problem is they think everyone is as corrupt and shallow as they are, they might come a cropper taking on someone with honesty, integrity and a wee bit of intelligence.

I think I'll put my money on the General.

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Spot on. Not sure that a few Labour slime balls slagging off Gen D (a public figure of obvious moral principles) will play well with the tabloids either. Besides which they forget that in a few months time they will be out of Government and people will give even less of a toss what they say.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

General Sir Richard Dannatt is a hugely respected man. A man that has earned his rank, who speaks honestly, and has also accomplished everything he set out to do. He has done and is doing his job impeccably.

Gordon Brown and Labour on the other hand are mocked and hated in equal measure, not just by the armed forces, but the electorate too. Gordon Brown didn't earn his rank; lying and obfuscation come so naturally to him, he doesn't even realise he's doing it, and Gordon has failed at everything he has attempted to do. He failed as Chancellor, and he's a failed Prime Minister, having ruined the UK economy, and trashed the reputation of our democracy, whilst his party have removed many freedoms and much of our privacy - they have treated us all with contempt.

Should they continue in their attempts to besmirch his name, purely out of spite because he told the truth, it will simplly go much worse for all of these people at the elections.

Labour: A party of incompetence, envious hatred and spite.

8. :D Bunch of known lying scum on one side, a decent bloke on other? I wonder who will come out on top?

9. HEAR! HEAR! THREE CHEERS!!!

10. You say the Government would be held in disgust for tarnishing his reputation after retirement, but that's not how it works. A few small leaks here and there to the press about personal life, things he's said taken out of context during his entire career, probably while pissed, seeded progressively over a number of years by stealth through the media, and a whole nations attitude towards someone who held public office can be changed.

It's a subtle process and prolonged only in proportion to how well respected he was in the first place. This does however give one further to fall. One should never underestimate the fickleness of a population, especially one that upon her death thought Jade Goody did as much for humanity as Princess Diana, and bought the idea that Saddam Hussein was in some way connected to 9/11. A person is clever, people are very dumb.

11. It would be rather interesting to see exactly who is behind the threats to brief against General Dannatt. I hope for their sakes that they manage to stay anonymous. :twisted:

But it is exactly the sort of thing we have come to expect from this lying, corrupt, inbred pile of fetid excrement that is laughingly called a Government.

FC

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

The papers keep quoting 'sources'.

Let's have some names, and then we can check out THEIR credentials!

13. All very true, but after the election the labour party will fragment and dissolve like a puff of smoke and there will be little motivation for them to show a united front against such a modern icon. After Dannats retirement and before the next election is the danger area. However whilst Dannat has undoubtedly made enemies, they are of the spitefull, school playground variety. And whilst those in power have shown their colours and issued their threats (in my experience, those who issue such threats rarely have the substance to carry them out) I would imnagine that Dannat has some pretty solid support in some areas maybe including the royalty, although it would never be said.

My money is also on Dannet and I think his actions, leadership and integrity will carry him through. Welcome to the House, Lord Dannet!