Liddell Hart Quote - Help Required

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by pensionpointer, Feb 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to get the exact quotation (and reference if possible) for the Liddel Hart quote I have paraphrased below:

“The only difficult thing about getting a new thought into the mind of the military is to get an old one out!”

Come on ARRSE I know you can deliver (by COP today if possible!)

uqfegd

pp

2. 3 seconds on google got me.................

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Liddell+Hart

3. Dr Stealth,

Your stealth is such that I cannot find any assistance from your link. I know who Captain (Ret'd) Sir Basil Liddell Hart is and I have googled for over an hour to find the exact quote and reference, which I cannot find from your link. Perhaps I am being thicker than one of Matron's Corned Mutton and pickled onion sandwiches? please enlighten me...

uqfegd

pp

4. Linky

I think it's there half down the page

5. It's on this list, but does not give a full reference http://members.cox.net/milreform/milquote1.html
    The link on that page takes you to more quotes. Annoyingly, they give better references, but omit the one you want. Perhaps one of those would suit your purposes?

6. Perhaps I am having a Gateway access issue but your links just take me to ads riddled pages with no quotes. could you cut and paste it into your reply for me?

uqfegd

pp

7. Bullet Catcher,

VMT, yours worked. I shall try and hunt down the reference.

uqfegd

pp

8. From DrS original link;

”References in periodicals archive

Up until the death of Sir Basil Henry Liddell Hart in 1970, the predominant view in military history circles was that the British Army's defeat in 1940 was due to a large and highly influential cavalry lobby that fought against mechanization and modernization in the British Army from the end of the First World War on.
    Technology, doctrine and debate: the evolution of British Army ... by Duncan, A.J. / The Canadian Army Journal

Sir Basil Liddell Hart said, "The only thing harder than getting a new idea into the military mind is to get an old one out.
    Understanding ILE: how is it different from CGSOC? by Tiberi, Paul / Special Warfare

The concept was offered by Basil Henri Liddell Hart, a prominent British military theoretician and historian, who summarized the "indirect approach" experience of many wars waged by the West.”

9. Thoughts on War published by Faber and Faber London 1943, page 115

10. "I fcuking told you so" From a private conversation with the minister of war about late May/June 1940 :D