LICSG(V)

#1
Anyone have current info on this unit, i.e. Is it up and running?

All I can find at the moment is this from Arrse wiki

Land Information Communications Systems Group
From ARRSEpedia

One of the surprises that came with the founding of LIAG was just how many really (and I'm not being sarky here) capable people wanted to join but didn't have the specialist security skills necessary for the IA specific role.

Recruiting being what it is, 2 Bde felt that setting up a more generic unit, providing project managers, network specialists and other: the equivalent of the regular IS trade, would be beneficial (and allow a sneaky red-tab Colonel post for CO SGRS).

Still in its infancy.
The seem to have a website on ArmyNET sharepoint but for some reason its closed off (and not under Royal Signals just like LIAG).

https://wss.armynet.mod.uk/sites/akx/licsg/default.aspx
 
#6
I sent my CV into LIAG(V) after returning from Telic in 2005. Thought I would be in with a shot at a junior position due to a BSc(Hons) Computer Science and couple of years experience. Unfortunately I didn't have the IT security experience required, a pity as I'm quite close to Corsham.

Now have a couple more years experience, am in a project co-ordination role and studying for a Foundation Cert in Project Management. Have applied to start a part time MSc Management this year. Maybe LICSG is worth an enquiry.
 
F

fozzy

Guest
#7
#8
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
 
#9
Just found this in a recentish PM

I don't think that the full operational concept for LICSG has been developed yet - frankly, how best to use LIAG is still in development. It may be worth a prod from the inside or just an approach. LIAG certainly recruited a couple of people because of very specific (XXX) civvie skills and the whole XXX environment will remain a critical aspect of future ops. I would imagine that there would be opportunities to deploy to assist in XXX moves or major system upgrades (and possibly to investigate system screw-ups.)
 
#10
Top_Man said:
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
No, its a professional unit. I take it as you got nowhere with your CV, you feel qualified to run it down. Did it ever occur to you to call and ask for some form of feed back on your CV? Did you approach your CoC to enquire for you? Whilst I am not part of it, I can assure you that if I were an attitude like that could explain why you were unsuccessful.
 
#11
WhiteHorse said:
Top_Man said:
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
No, its a professional unit. I take it as you got nowhere with your CV, you feel qualified to run it down.
If its like LIAG(V) they will send you a letter explaining why you had been rejected, I hadn't enough security experience.
 
#12
polar said:
WhiteHorse said:
Top_Man said:
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
No, its a professional unit. I take it as you got nowhere with your CV, you feel qualified to run it down.
If its like LIAG(V) they will send you a letter explaining why you had been rejected, I hadn't enough security experience.
Fair point, however I'd like to know why we can't train people in this arena. Whilst a lot of skills come from civi street surely we can identify suitable people and help them gain experience?
 
#13
polar said:
WhiteHorse said:
Top_Man said:
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
No, its a professional unit. I take it as you got nowhere with your CV, you feel qualified to run it down.
If its like LIAG(V) they will send you a letter explaining why you had been rejected, I hadn't enough security experience.
My security experience was too specific, firewall installation and support. Might have helped if I had intrusion detection I suspect. But the reply did not specify
 
#14
WhiteHorse said:
however I'd like to know why we can't train people in this arena. Whilst a lot of skills come from civi street surely we can identify suitable people and help them gain experience?
Always wondered that, with the regular army being short of IS Eng for numerous years and the (normal) TA having many people with IT skills but not necessarily the correct set. Why not train them up?
Why IT people still being placed into operator slots when all the evidence shows they would deploy as IS Eng.
 
#15
polar said:
WhiteHorse said:
however I'd like to know why we can't train people in this arena. Whilst a lot of skills come from civi street surely we can identify suitable people and help them gain experience?
Always wondered that, with the regular army being short of IS Eng for numerous years and the (normal) TA having many people with IT skills but not necessarily the correct set. Why not train them up?
Why IT people still being placed into operator slots when all the evidence shows they would deploy as IS Eng.
Or advise folk of what is needed. My employer allows us to use online training tools to learn a number of networking, database and security skills. I am sure others are in the same boat. I'd happily move from operator to IS Eng if that is were the need it. I joined to serve.
 
#16
polar said:
WhiteHorse said:
Top_Man said:
Wasn't this unit s'pose to start up over a year ago, with some limp-wristed LtCol from 71 running it. I too sent them a CV with YofS/Ew/training/CNR/X-25/Network management experience and it got nowhere. Is this a club for the boys ??
No, its a professional unit. I take it as you got nowhere with your CV, you feel qualified to run it down.
If its like LIAG(V) they will send you a letter explaining why you had been rejected, I hadn't enough security experience.
LIAG(V) sent me a letter explaining why. Down to no position for my skill set i.e no IT security experience. Am considering leaving the TA this year (done 6) to pursue my part time MSc but wouldn't rule out a comeback in the future and a unit like LISCG(V) would be ideal.
 
#17
MrDragon said:
LIAG(V) sent me a letter explaining why.
Find it odd that so many appear to have been rejected by LIAG and not kept in anticipation of LICSG when

1. Their is a shortage of regular IS Eng

2. Work I'm currently doing implies the Army needs IS Eng (and less RLC Driver Op(V))

3. Work 'TA Sig' is doing also implies more IS Eng
 
#18
Polar,

Roughly two years ago those of us in the Sqn with IT background were asked by our unit to bring in our CVs, which were then passed on to 2 Sig Bde. At the time, if I recall correctly, it was stated that Bde we looking for a pool on IT specialists to use on an ad hoc basis. The YOS had no more info at that time.

That was the last I ever heard of it.

FL
 
#19
ferry_loon said:
Roughly two years ago those of us in the Sqn with IT background were asked by our unit to bring in our CVs, which were then passed on to 2 Sig Bde. At the time, if I recall correctly, it was stated that Bde we looking for a pool on IT specialists to use on an ad hoc basis. The YOS had no more info at that time.
I believe most units did this (and TA units 11 Sig Bde/12 Sig Grp) around the time of Telic 3? & 4?, oddly enough those with IT skills started getting call up papers. Previous to this mobilisations had been random with certain trades getting hit (it had to be random as at one stage - I was a Sgt with 3 operator trades and I was told the day before tranche 1 Telic other quals I had were in high demand by a SO2 G6 RMTC and yet no papers until my IT quals were sent up the food chain).
 
#20
And yet, I beleive that you are not supposed to be mobilised for your civvy trade if that is not also your Army trade. Not that I'm arrsed. I'd have picked up litter on to get on Telic.....oh yes..now I remember.. I did quite a bit of that too . Luckily I was used in trade for most of the time :D

Going forward though I' be happy to move trade to IS Eng. Unfortunetly there is no oppertunity to do so in my current Sqn, and little chance to do it there in the future I suspect
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment 0
Z Army Reserve 13

Similar threads


New Posts

Latest Threads

Top