License to listen to the radio??? What is UK coming to?!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Dontdreamit, Jan 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I assume that you are younger than 45 or so?

Some of us can remember having to pay for a radio license....

Litotes

(not me, but there was a radio license for many years)!

2. It's been a law since the 1920s, all music played in public must be licensed, I think radio Lcenses are now defunct

3. My blind grandmother died in 2004, and she had one, so I'm not sure about that.

4. Its nothing new. They were/are suing Kwik Fit because employees were listening to the radio on the garage floor. Seemingly this is deemed as entertainment for the customers in the waiting room who can hear it, therefore a licence is needed to play the music. Its not a licence to play the radio for personal use, its a licence to broadcast it to an audience just like what pubs and clubs need. The fact that it is not the main reason people go to the business is beyond the common sense of these muppets.

5. they are still going i think, i know someone who still has one, at least he said he had one :wink:

6. Its our much idolised performers making sure they get their royalties

Public performance licence

7. Anyone playing music to the public must pay a fee to the PRS... This is not the same as a 'Wireless Licence'

It used to be the case that nobody could listen to a 'wireless' (radio) without being licenced to do so, however with the coming of the transistor and battery powered portable radios this law just became silly and unenforceable so now we are at the stage where we can listen to any radio transmission that is deemed to be 'broadcast' without a licence.

'Broadcast' includes Radio 2 etc as you would expect but also includes:
    VOLMET messages
    Notices to Airmen (and the maritime equivalent)
    Radio amateur transmissions
    and much more.

There is also a lot that you cannot listen to and of course a large ill-defined 'grey area' so the answer is listen away but dont 'broadcast' the fact.

8. I suppose the monies raised will g towards funding the £2Million radio station for Prison Lags that they are setting up....

9. No doubt the BBC and their cohorts will be chasing all those from overseas that listen to the programmes over the internet which is provided by, oh yeah the BBC

HH

10. Only the 'easy' targets who can't politically defend themselves,remember;that's the way with bullies....

11. The PRS targeted my business - there's only two of here, in a small workshop, not a retail outlet - customers by can visit but must contact us first. Anyway, tt started off with an innocent phone call and then the questions started up with "do you have a radio", "how many people work on site", can the customers listen to the radio as well".

My business partner smelled a rat and refused to answer any more questions - we now have small personal radios with headphones so that only one person can listen to them and we tend to listen to radio 4 a lot more.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

I object to the so called artists getting paid umpteen times for their "work", particularly the likes of that tw*t McCartney - as if he needs the money. It daylight robbery and exactly the same as if you bought a saucepan only to be told you had to pay the designer again each time you use it!

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Robbing cnuts...

Interesting point though, since we stopped listening to the music stations so much we don't buy anywhere near as many CDs as we used to...

Rodney2q

Incidentally, the front man for the PRS is Fergal Sharkey, sh*te Oirish singer and failed front man for the Undertones - I suppose he does need the money though...

12. However the radio stations have already paid the artists...

....so how can they charge a listener?

Surely it is only a matter of time until some legal eagle challenges this. If a recording artists releases a song into the public domain via radio (in an effort to increase sales) they must surely do so on the understanding that the public will actually listen to it??

13. Why is the PRS being lumped together with government broadcast licensing? One is government, one is not – and never has been. 8O

Radio licensing came in with the establishment of broadcasting in the 1920s. When TVs emerged, pre-war, they were also licensed. Post war they introduced a combined TV-Radio license, but if, as most did, you only had a radio you only needed a radio license. This remained the case until the beginning of the 70s – not that long ago you bunch of fetals :roll: – when only the combined TV-Radio license was issued. Meaning if you only had/have a radio, you don’t need a license. But, also before the abolition of the separate radio license, if you were rich enough to have a fixed radio in your car, (if you were rich enough to have a car), you needed a separate license for that. Use your portable in the car and you were exempt – provided that you already had a home radio or TV-Radio license in the first place. :wink:

The Performing Rights Society came about at the time of escalating radio and records. Both were correctly seen as mediums where Joe Public en masse could be entertained by a recorded performance for which the originators should receive something. Radio stations etc have varying licensing agreements with the PRS and regularly submit playlists so the PRS can estimate how much to allocate to any particular artiste, writer, composer, publisher. If a hairdresser or anywhere where Joe Public is/can be, plays the radio, music system etc, they in effect are enabling a public performance – even if YOU don’t listen or YOU don’t like what’s being played. If they don’t want to pay a contribution to the originators then either don’t broadcast or record and playback their own original compositions and performance. :D

No.9

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

As No.9 says,

PRS allocates the play list to artists, If you remember Hugh Grant's movie About A Boy he played a guy who lived off just those royalties.

The performance thing was, I understand, correctly brought in to get cash off pubs that were playing CD's and stuff and making money off it - think nightclubs or Outback Bar in Cov Garden - there are patrollers and so on that go around and check these licenses.

The hairdresser sounds fair enough to me, Kwikfit doesn't.