Libya

Is there a need for the UN anymore? Given Russia is a member of the SC and an untouchable.
The toothless tiger once the direct interests of one or more permanent members is involved? Such as Syrian govt chemical weapons for example?

We've had the discussion before. Russia was approachable on the early 90s but not any more.

Maybe if their vetoes were reduced/removed on things like HR abuses, but of course it would need a 'none vetoed' vote for that to happen. I believe it has been mentioned but a couple of countries appear to be against it for some reason.

Russia says it doesn't have special forces in Egypt - Interfax
As if by magic. Russia denies it has SF in Egypt:
The Russian Defence Ministry said on Tuesday it did not have special forces in Egypt after U.S., Egyptian and diplomatic sources told Reuters it appeared to have deployed such forces to an Egyptian airbase, the Interfax news agency reported.

The U.S. and diplomatic officials said any such Russian deployment might be part of a bid to support Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar, who suffered a setback with an attack on March 3 by the Benghazi Defence Brigades (BDB) on oil ports controlled by his forces.

"There are no Russian special forces units in Sidi Barrani," Interfax cited Igor Konashenkov, the defence ministry's spokesman, as saying in a statement.

^ agreed, that's why I think we need to do a back flip to the 1960's mindset which is Russia's ambitions to control the ME and that means pro Egyptian, with Libya being a target of opportunity. Given Haftars origins as a pro Nasserite. They'll support the Palestinians against the Israelis now the two state solution is almost dead in the water, Syria and Iran give them a significant foothold. I would imagine that there'll a mutal understanding with Turkey which won't make it easy for Stoltenberg.

^ agreed, that's why I think we need to do a back flip to the 1960's mindset which is Russia's ambitions to control the ME and that means pro Egyptian, with Libya being a target of opportunity. Given Haftars origins as a pro Nasserite. They'll support the Palestinians against the Israelis now the two state solution is almost dead in the water, Syria and Iran give them a significant foothold. I would imagine that there'll a mutal understanding with Turkey which won't make it easy for Stoltenberg.
I'm not sure why you think the Russians would support the Palestinians. The Palestinians seem to have little influence in the Middle East at this time and so have very little to offer the Russians in return.

The Russians on the other hand have been keeping on good terms with Israel. The Israelis in turn have reciprocated to the extent that EU countries are complaining about Israel not supporting sanctions against Russia.

The only country outside the region which seems to care the slightest about the Palestinians is ironically the US.

I'm not sure why you think the Russians would support the Palestinians. The Palestinians seem to have little influence in the Middle East at this time and so have very little to offer the Russians in return.

The Russians on the other hand have been keeping on good terms with Israel. The Israelis in turn have reciprocated to the extent that EU countries are complaining about Israel not supporting sanctions against Russia.

The only country outside the region which seems to care the slightest about the Palestinians is ironically the US.
I'm not too worried about that paradox, besides the Israelis have their own expansionist agenda and the Europeans are very careful about that given their own background. As long as there is a balance.

Fighting rages in Benghazi after victory speech
Haftar (Russian supported, opposes the UN supported GNA) declares Benghazi to be completely under his control. Fire fights break out two days later:
On Wednesday evening, Haftar announced the end of the campaign in a televised speech.

But two days later clashes were continuing in a handful of streets in Sabri. LNA forces said they had stopped using heavy artillery to reduce the risk of friendly fire casualties because of the restricted area in which they were fighting.

Libya army commander arrest sought by ICC for alleged executions
One of Haftar's men has had a warrant issued by the ICC:
Judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant for a Libyan National Army (LNA)commander accused over the alleged execution of dozens of prisoners.

Prosecutors at the world's permanent war crimes court are seeking Mahmoud al-Werfalli's hand-over to face charges of murder during the armed conflict in Libya.

According to the ICC, Werfalli “is alleged to have directly committed and to have ordered the commission of murder as a war crime” during seven incidents, involving 33 persons in June and July 2017 in and near Benghazi.

The LNA, which controls the eastern part of Libya, has been pushing to expand its presence in the central and southern part of the country where it has been vying for control with forces linked to the U.N.-backed government in Tripoli and other groups.

The United Nations called for the LNA to suspend Werfalli after a video in March allegedly showed Werfalli shooting dead three men who were kneeling and facing a wall with their hands tied behind their backs.

The LNA said it would investigate any potential war crimes but has not released any details of such a probe.

In June, two further videos appeared to show summary executions carried out by LNA fighters on his orders.

The ICC has jurisdiction over war crimes in Libya after a referral by the United Nations Security Council in 2011 and has been investigating alleged atrocities there.

We'll hold our breaths then shall we?
I won't personally :) ICC do what the do but unless we're on PIFWIC Ops it'll be on hold indefinitely or at least until a recognised national govt which has control of the majority of the country is in place

.....and then politicially dropped.
That would depend on who was 'in charge'. Lots of PIFWICs and some countries have been referred to the UN. Too soon to say imo. For all I know Haftar forms a govt and puts him up as a sacrificial lamb or any Resolution gets vetoed. Just part of the 'rich tapestry' that is the world today.

That would depend on who was 'in charge'. Lots of PIFWICs and some countries have been referred to the UN. Too soon to say imo. For all I know Haftar forms a govt and puts him up as a sacrificial lamb or any Resolution gets vetoed. Just part of the 'rich tapestry' that is the world today.
Yus subtle that, slightly better than disposed of. Why do the dirty work when others can be got to do it.

*Russian Troll*
After my little holiday....Here's something a little bit different.
It doesn't go into how they made him confess but a bit of "enhanced-interrogation" is a necessay and effective measure according to the septics.
John Rizzo: CIA's Enhanced Interrogation "Necessary and Effective"

Mossad Officer Leading ISIL as Mosque Imam Arrested in Libya

Libyan authorities arrested a leader and mosque preacher of the ISIL terrorist group who later confessed to be a Mossad officer.
According to the Libyan authorities, preacher Abu Hafs' real name is Benjamin Efraim, an Israeli national operating in one of Mossad's special units which conduct espionage operations in Arab and Islamic countries.

The Libyan authorities said the Mossad spy has started his career in Libya by leading a 200-member ISIL-affiliated group and moved to Benghazi in disguise as a preacher.

According to them, Abu Hafs had attempted to infiltrate Egypt, adding that the group, under his command, is among the most barbaric terrorist groups which had threatened to export war to Egypt.

The report came in the backdrop of a number of reports that said ISIL Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was also a Mossad agent although no credible evidence has yet been presented to substantiate the claim.

When the terror outfit attacked Iraq and conquered Mosul some three years ago, numerous reports have surfaced the media disclosing that tens of Mossad agents are leading ISIL fighters.

The report came as speculations are increasing within the ranks of ISIL over the possible successor of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi after the recent reports about his death.

According to last month reports, ISIL's leader in Libya Jalalulddin al-Tunisi and ISIL's leader in Syria Abu Mohammad al-Shamali are the main two picks to lead the terrorist group after al-Baghdadi.

Farsnews
Mossad Agent Arrested While Disguised as ISIS Preacher
Libyan officer: Arrested ISIS preacher in Libya was a Mossad officer | Iraq News Service
Mossad officer leading ISIS as mosque Imam arrested in Libya

After my little holiday....Here's something a little bit different.
It doesn't go into how they made him confess but a bit of "enhanced-interrogation" is a necessay and effective measure according to the septics.
John Rizzo: CIA's Enhanced Interrogation "Necessary and Effective"

Mossad Officer Leading ISIL as Mosque Imam Arrested in Libya

Libyan authorities arrested a leader and mosque preacher of the ISIL terrorist group who later confessed to be a Mossad officer.
According to the Libyan authorities, preacher Abu Hafs' real name is Benjamin Efraim, an Israeli national operating in one of Mossad's special units which conduct espionage operations in Arab and Islamic countries.

The Libyan authorities said the Mossad spy has started his career in Libya by leading a 200-member ISIL-affiliated group and moved to Benghazi in disguise as a preacher.

According to them, Abu Hafs had attempted to infiltrate Egypt, adding that the group, under his command, is among the most barbaric terrorist groups which had threatened to export war to Egypt.

The report came in the backdrop of a number of reports that said ISIL Leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was also a Mossad agent although no credible evidence has yet been presented to substantiate the claim.

When the terror outfit attacked Iraq and conquered Mosul some three years ago, numerous reports have surfaced the media disclosing that tens of Mossad agents are leading ISIL fighters.

The report came as speculations are increasing within the ranks of ISIL over the possible successor of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi after the recent reports about his death.

According to last month reports, ISIL's leader in Libya Jalalulddin al-Tunisi and ISIL's leader in Syria Abu Mohammad al-Shamali are the main two picks to lead the terrorist group after al-Baghdadi.

Farsnews
Mossad Agent Arrested While Disguised as ISIS Preacher
Libyan officer: Arrested ISIS preacher in Libya was a Mossad officer | Iraq News Service
Mossad officer leading ISIS as mosque Imam arrested in Libya
Oh dear, you post links from Iranian agitprop and Veterans Today? And you believe them? Nice one Pinocchio.

Any credible source quoting this information?

Dozens of unidentified bodies found near Libyan city of Benghazi
To early to say who, what when and why, but 37 unidentified bodies found in LNA controlled territory. They may be confirmed IS fighters killed in fighting. Then again, they may not:
The bodies of 37 unidentified people have been found near the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi, security sources said on Friday.

The bodies were found on Thursday night in Al-Abyar, about 70 km (44 miles) east of Benghazi. The security sources gave no information about their possible identity.

Smaller numbers of bodies have been found in and around Benghazi on several occasions in recent months. The area is controlled by the Libyan National Army (LNA), a force headed by eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar.

He declared victory in a campaign for Benghazi in July, though some fighting has continued in one district of the city.

I'd hazard a guess that Libya is Vlad's next target - all the indicators are there. Is there a thread for that?
Anything to confirm other than the support he’s already giving Haftar (LNA leader) as opposed to the U.N. (inc Russia) approved GNA?

I see Ukraine being the next one personally, with T72s on railcars and Russian withdrawal from the JCCC personally. Libya will again demand deconfliction with allied efforts whilst Ukraine gets him more (not that he needs any) brownie pints at home.

He supports Haftar who has been to Moscow and on the aircraft carrier IIRC

Anything to confirm other than the support he’s already giving Haftar (LNA leader) as opposed to the U.N. (inc Russia) approved GNA?

I see Ukraine being the next one personally, with T72s on railcars and Russian withdrawal from the JCCC personally. Libya will again demand deconfliction with allied efforts whilst Ukraine gets him more (not that he needs any) brownie pints at home.

He supports Haftar who has been to Moscow and on the aircraft carrier IIRC
OK here goes to start with:

1. Already indications that the Russians have been involved in some covert “Special Forces” insertions.

2. Indications earlier in the year were that the above were already covertly staging through Egypt. Early March an inadvertent Ruskie got picked up transiting back out through Alexandria Borg el Arab Airport with a grenade in his bags, that he'd forgotten about. A few days in the slammer, then quietly let go.

3. Russia recently extracted a (reciprocal) agreement from Egypt to allow Russian military to use Egyptian airspace and Egyptian military facilities at five days’ notice.

4. Russia regards its intervention in Syria as a major success and a very public “poke in the eye” of the US, which it could replicate in Libya, thus increasing even more its geopolitical standing.

5. Russia is aligned with Egypt, KSA and UAE in supporting Khalifa Haftar as the “strongman” who can rule the country and which all see as the most pragmatic solution.

6. This alignment can go some way to “balance out” its alignment in Syria with Assad/Hezbollah/Iran all perceived to be against KSA/UAE interests

7. This can be presented as a “realpolitik fait accompli” and will weaken the international order (the UN) and US/European influence even further.

8. If Russia helps Haftar, it will expect some concessions to its interests.

9. Haftar has just stated a few days ago that the Libyan Political Agreement has expired, thus setting the scene for increased and open hostilities.

Discuss?

Last edited:

Latest Threads