Libya, the new Afghanistan?

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
We're at it again at least according to the Sunday depress apparently we're going to Kick some ISIS ass down Sirte way with the French and the Yanks. Why do we keep having to wave flags to let them know we're coming?
Because the purpose of the exercise is not eliminating ISIS, it's getting good PR in the UK meeja.

We're at it again at least according to the Sunday depress apparently we're going to Kick some ISIS ass down Sirte way with the French and the Yanks. Why do we keep having to wave flags to let them know we're coming?
My bold.. in the Americans case at least I think its to try & prevent "Friendly Fire" :-(

My bold.. in the Americans case at least I think its to try & prevent "Friendly Fire" :-(
Can we be at back of the queue for US Friendly Fire too?

Ah, so we're not trying to win then. As Maigret would say, that explains everything
Yup - the evil EU wants us to destroy our capability, so they can take over.

Some irony may have been applied to the posting of this not-entirely serious comment. Keeps sales of tinfoil high.

Can we be at back of the queue for US Friendly Fire too?
Sadly not - because we're their bestest, bestest ever Ally according to some other posters. So we have to stand next to them and be shot first.

Personally , I wish, just once, they'd let us sneak up...
Yeah, I can remember all those nights sneaking up to make a dawn attack. The bastards were always wide awake waiting for us.

Big song and dance works best - announcing our imminent arrival with cruise missiles, guided bombs and GMLRS. You can have a pre-show of grey ships, bunting, a cocktail party and RM Band if you want whilst remainder is being moved into place.

Yeah, I can remember all those nights sneaking up to make a dawn attack. The bastards were always wide awake waiting for us.

Big song and dance works best - announcing our imminent arrival with cruise missiles, guided bombs and GMLRS. You can have a pre-show of grey ships, bunting, a cocktail party and RM Band if you want whilst remainder is being moved into place.
PS Lest it be said that I failed to embrace "Jointery" - I would have thrown in the Red Arrows but they are fully booked years in advance and there's no intact 4* hotels in Libya

PS Lest it be said that I failed to embrace "Jointery" - I would have thrown in the Red Arrows but they are fully booked years in advance and there's no intact 4* hotels in Libya
Just re-draw the maps so that Libya is closer to Cyprus (and its superior hotel capability) and then the Reds will be the tool of choice. Simples. I seem to recall that the RAF have pulled this stunt before.

I think the Libyans would prefer us to the Italians to be honest. Personally, I always appreciate how they bring some style, feathers and decent coffee shops to the event.
ما شاء الله‎

Surely the Italians are the last country that should bimble around? Aren't they the wicked old colonial power the old Looney has had a generation to mobilise opinion against?

@BarcelonaAnalPark Immense respect for managing to compare the Daily Mail to Dabiq. One of them, however, has a comprehensible central narrative....

ما شاء الله‎

Surely the Italians are the last country that should bimble around? ...
The Italians don't bimble in the way we do..they pose, preen and strut around stylishly, right up until the point where they run away!

Hopefully in these enlightened days of sexual equality they will run away leaving their women behind for us to enjoy!

After 8 years of ongoing violence and lack of a united, functioning administration since the fall of Gaddafi, it looks like thing might be coming to a head. Anyone for another Libyan NEO.

'Libyan army commander Khalifa Hifter on Thursday ordered his forces to march on Tripoli, the capital of the UN-backed government, sparking fears of a major showdown with rival militias.

'The order to his Libya National Army posted in an audio recording online came as UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres visited the North African country and issued "a very strong appeal ... for all military movements to stop."

'Hifter also put at risk upcoming peace talks between Libyan rivals brokered by the UN aimed at drawing a roadmap for new elections.'

Libyan army commander defies UN and orders troops to march on Tripoli

UN backed the wrong horse.
Serraj's influence outside Tripoli port was only maintained via alliances with Militias that many of the population see as illegitmate and criminal.
Haftar still has legitimacy from pre 2011 institutions i.e the Army.
He also has a better Ultima Ratio Regum than the others, something Russia, UAE and Egypt have helped with
He is old though, so stand by for a succession issue as his sons aren't very highly regarded.
Who knows, Saif Gaddafhi might be re-habilitated enough by then to be in the running as Brotherly Leader 2.0

Not sure I'd believe anything from any partisan source, but it is a potential indication of Haftar's military strength and the 'government's' weakness.
Best real time is twitter, which is also difficult to verify, reuters is only following what it can pick up from other sources

Latest Threads